By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - World of Goo publisher files for bankruptcy

tmbh said:
World of Goo had no DRM, serial number, registration or anything like that (PC version). They just provided me with an non secure direct download link and a message clearly stating there was no DRM etc.

Quite unbelievable that they would release a game like that, no wonder it had a 90% piracy rate!!

You do know DRM can be bypassed?

Around the Network

It's a shame, the game was great and well worth playing. Though I got the wii version not the pc.

Goes to show that piracy is a problem. People can complain that companies go crazy with DRM but it's because they are terrified of this sort of thing. People will go pirate crazy if you give them the chance.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
Goes to show that piracy is a problem. People can complain that companies go crazy with DRM but it's because they are terrified of this sort of thing. People will go pirate crazy if you give them the chance.

People will pirate like crazy anyway. Anyone who wants to download a game will likely be able to do so within a week, or a month at absolute worst - without any DRM BS. Meanwhile all honest customers will have the potentially harmful protections to deal with, along with any other paranoid crap publishers choose to push on their discs. The illegal product will therefore be better AND free.

Piracy is a problem, yes - a problem DRM will never solve by itself.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Piracy is starting to become a huge problem because when I was looking up youtube videos for this game I came up with this one that was talking about "how to get fun free games" one being world of goo the person had no clue that this game cost money just found a random link like a miniclip game. I contribue this to the lack on drm on that any direct download site had this game up.

"

Around the Network

It's a bit easy to put the blame on World of Goo's alleged piracy. This company didn't just publish just that one game.

Even with supposed high piracy, World of Goo still sold/sells pretty well. My guess is their other games not selling as well as World of Goo would a more likely cause for this bankruptcy.

Most games have a piracy rate around 80-90%, DRM or not.

Mise said:
The_vagabond7 said:

People will pirate like crazy anyway. Anyone who wants to download a game will likely be able to do so within a week, or a month at absolute worst - without any DRM BS. Meanwhile all honest customers will have the potentially harmful protections to deal with, along with any other paranoid crap publishers choose to push on their discs. The illegal product will therefore be better AND free.

Piracy is a problem, yes - a problem DRM will never solve by itself.

Correct to an extent. But alot of people are just "casual" pirates that aren't going to put forth any effort to pirate something with DRM, but if they can just google "get this game for free" then they will do it. I'm guessing games with DRM don't have a 90% piracy rate. I'm not saying screwing the customer is good, but you have to empathize a bit when you see this sort of thing. They extend an olive branch to the gaming community in good faith that they will buy a great product at a cheap price, and their olive branch gets stolen. That doesn't send a good message to publishers that are deciding how hard to crack down on piracy.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Did they make the game or just publish it?

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Johann said:
Did they make the game or just publish it?

Read the thread.