By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MCV: UK market will overtake Japan this year

MCV’s predicted that the UK market will become the second largest in the world next to the US this year, overtaking Japan.

Whilst the Japanese market was worth £520,000 more than the UK in 2008, it declined year-on-year by 15 percent, says the site.

The UK rose by 18.5 percent in the same year. If trends continue in 2009, the UK will attain an annual video games market value of £4.77bn.

In contrast, Japan is currently on target to achieve a 2009 market value of £3.86bn.

There’s a heap of global sales analysis here.

vg247

Around the Network

I'm surprised it's not already ahead.

Phweeee... 120M people VS 45-50 (?) M people ... And uk wins! What a world!

But well, let's wait a couple of years, when consoles will be cheaper and new handhelds will be available, japan will be the second market, once again!

True enough fishy the Japanese market has gotten slow recently.

I guess Microsoft was extremely wise in focusing a lot of their attention in that market, good planning I say!

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
I guess Microsoft was extremely wise in focusing a lot of their attention in that market, good planning I say!

In all fairness squilliam there market share has jumped up in Japan no mean feat I would say.

It's weird. The Japanese are world famous for being crazy about games, and they're very rich, yet with a population of 127 million they will be outsold by a European nation with just 62 million people.

Slimebeast said:
It's weird. The Japanese are world famous for being crazy about games, and they're very rich, yet with a population of 127 million they will be outsold by a European nation with just 62 million people.

Using the term "European" loosely, the UK isn't anything like any other country in Europe. Especially where the games market is concerned.

Tremble said:
Phweeee... 120M people VS 45-50 (?) M people ... And uk wins! What a world!

But well, let's wait a couple of years, when consoles will be cheaper and new handhelds will be available, japan will be the second market, once again!

61M+

I thought UK had already done it last year.