By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is piracy widespread?

Lemme tell you guys something about the countries where the Piracy is widespread. You should be aware of some facts before judging...

I have been and lived in Eastern Europe and even in the richest one (Cezch), people are usually not rich enough to buy the original games, which are simply too expensive. Now think about it, the minimum wage in Poland is less than $2 ($8 here) and games are at least 30-90% more expensive. On the average a game costs around $80-$130. So you need around $50 hours of work to earn 1 single game! (a week or so). In America, you'd earn it in 1 day. There are also many bargain deals etc (old games are usually much cheaper).

Besides, you can't find most of the games easily, only in big cities like Warsaw or Krakow. On top of everything, The subsistence level is much higher than in America and people hardly have money to spend on gaming.

I have personally observed the Eastern European life standards. I havent been to Southeastern Asia but I have had very many Chinese and Indian friends and I am sure the conditions in there is a lot worse. So, before blaming those people, we should understand the facts leading to that.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

cool

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

That is sad, and you shouldn't have to pay so much for one game. however that doesn't give you the right to pirate games.

Hmm? Wasn´t this written in another threat?

get old games there cheap

consoles i own ps12 gba ds gc wii

Around the Network

In my country the minimum wage is $225/month and games cost around $80 (a 80gb ps3 cost $812 in sony's official stores/ today's exchange rate). Anyway some people (like me) buy games in official stores but I would say 1 of each 50 persons do it. The black markets are huge and you can buy pirate games in there for $3 and consoles are cheaper than in official stores.

I know... my english sucks

Visited my friend in Venezuela and it's the same deal there. In fact if you live in a town likely your only option for buying games or movies is pirated versions. You have to drive to the nearest city's mall to find a limited selection of over-priced retail games. Really, only the rich buy them, as only the rich could even afford too. Everyone else gets pirated copies. There's no sigma at all to it, really there's no other option and everyone is doing it. It's life.

I can't speak for developing nations, but game quality is the reason why I pirate games. If a game developer does not release a demo for a game, I will pirate it. If the game is bad, then I will uninstall it after a short while and go about my business. If the game is good, I will purchase it online and continue to play the pirated copy. I rarely open the actual game, I just keep it there in case I do an OS restore or something. Games are too expensive to buy every game I see. No demo = pirated demo for me.

As for console games, I rent then purchase if I like it, even if it is a single player game.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

seece said:

That is sad, and you shouldn't have to pay so much for one game. however that doesn't give you the right to pirate games.

There is a problem in europe and it does extend to my country somewhat, where games are pretty over the top priced (new ps3 game is $130.. wth). Games are expensive to make however the pricing outside of the states is a little nuts at times. One classic example I remember when I was younger was when Super Street Fighter 2 came out for Sega mega drive, and the game cost $225, nearly as much as the console itself o_0 (other games were $80-90 at the time).

however the point that it doesn't give you the right to pirate is bang on correct, the issue is people that can't afford can't do without. its a really evil circle, where gamers staved of games just pirate them and it ends up staving the developer and they go bust. Although imo alot of developer going bust is the structure of publishers in the industry, ie having far too much control.

Long story cheap and easy. Obviously its free and I can get a full XBOX360 game on USENET in about an hour, torrents take longer but are rampant. Its hard to compete with. I for one have a decent job that makes ok money, but if I didnt I could see myself pirating.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling