By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why I don't believe in "System Sellers"

I thought I should take a moment to comment on why I think people’s faith in ‘System Sellers’ is so misplaced; in particular the faith that Sony fans seem to have that certain games will save the PS3.

For (pretty much) the entire past 2 generations I have been a geek who has enjoyed arguing on the internet (and bulletin boards before that) about videogames; this has given me the opportunity to see the same flawed arguments rehashed generation after generation. At the same time I have had many friends who were interested in videogames and liked playing or discussing them as a group.

What I have seen time and time again is people who have exclaimed “Wait until -=Supposed system seller=- is released, then -=Struggling Console=- will gain momentum” only to see the game released and fail to really improve the console’s situation.

The reason for this is simple, in discussions I have had with people in every generation the I have heard “I would love to play -=Supposed System Seller=- but I can’t really justify paying $100/$200 to buy a -=Struggling Console=- for 1 game when I already own -=Competition Console=-

The reason I see this as being a far more dramatic problem for the Xbox 360 and PS3 is because people were unwilling to spend $100 to $200 in previous generations to play some of the best games of the generation so I can’t see someone spending more than $300 for similar games this generation.

Around the Network

But if there are supposedly many great games coming out though, they can form a "System Seller".

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Your signature is still too long Soriku, get rid of anticipated and unnanounced games.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

HappySqurriel said:

I thought I should take a moment to comment on why I think people’s faith in ‘System Sellers’ is so misplaced; in particular the faith that Sony fans seem to have that certain games will save the PS3.

For (pretty much) the entire past 2 generations I have been a geek who has enjoyed arguing on the internet (and bulletin boards before that) about videogames; this has given me the opportunity to see the same flawed arguments rehashed generation after generation. At the same time I have had many friends who were interested in videogames and liked playing or discussing them as a group.

What I have seen time and time again is people who have exclaimed “Wait until -=Supposed system seller=- is released, then -=Struggling Console=- will gain momentum” only to see the game released and fail to really improve the console’s situation.

The reason for this is simple, in discussions I have had with people in every generation the I have heard “I would love to play -=Supposed System Seller=- but I can’t really justify paying $100/$200 to buy a -=Struggling Console=- for 1 game when I already own -=Competition Console=-

The reason I see this as being a far more dramatic problem for the Xbox 360 and PS3 is because people were unwilling to spend $100 to $200 in previous generations to play some of the best games of the generation so I can’t see someone spending more than $300 for similar games this generation.

While i agree that effects are not as large as people see them, some games of course can be system sellers. If i have a friend who wants to buy a xbox ONLY for halo 3 its considered a system seller isnt it?

I think that people do see games pushing systems but maybe pushing to many and maybe to many games doing it. I rarely see single games pushing a system, i usually believe its a group.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

The PS3 will still sell more then the GC and will sell atleast N64 numbers this can be seen as a step backwards compared to the PS1/PS2 but it will still sell.

But i still think it will outsell the wii over its lifetime, the wii will die off and the PS3 will get cheaper and sell more.

Around the Network

People believe though PS3 will gain "monstrous" momentum due to the price cut with 5 AAA titles coming out. Of course we won't know for sure if there will be a price cut in early 2008.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Of course the Wii will die off. Motion controls will NEVER amount to anything in video games. They're just a fad, like the DS.

/sarcasm

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Happy - While I agree that many people often put too much credit in a games ability to move consoles, I have a feeling that in most cases console sales would have been considerably lower had these games not come out. Do you think the N64 would have sold 32 Mil had either Mario 64, Zelda OoT or Goldeneye not come out? I don't think so.

Games do more than just increase sales, they also maintain sales that would otherwise dwindle.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

^ Yet people still think Wii will die off even though it has at least 5 AAA titles a year.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Because your a nintendo supporters, thats why.

You do your best to use sales numbers to proclaim wii greatness but some one mentions GT GTA or FF sale and well your tune changes fast.