By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Paramount and Dreamworks backs HD-DVD exclusively!

right now movies like disney are not gonna sell very well, it's clear that only movies like 300 are gonna sell well right now. How many kids do you know that even know what blu-ray is? Kids these days are still watching VHS tapes that their parents bought 20 years ago, they can't even tell the difference between DVD and HD-DVD.

The market right now is just technonuts that need aboslutely the best picture and sound. Movies like 300 and the matrix will sell well, but I dont' think movies like Ratoutille is gonna do well for another 4-5 years.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
mitsuhide said:
Delusional said:
mitsuhide said:
You do know Mitt that a cheap Blu-ray at around $299 from a Chinese Manufacturer should be on shelves this Christmas.

Link Please.

Hope you're not talking about the "BLUE LASER HD DVD" news back from April of this year.  Cuz that's old news and was denied by Walmart.

Blue Laser HDDVD i didnt hear about that so no it isnt that.

I guess you dont look at N4G.com much then it was on there MONTHS ago i will try to find it again but dont expect anything soon.

I don't read N4G.com but I do read Engadget.com. Not sure if this is what you were talking about since it's also $299 for Walmart this hoilday season, supposedly. But the story has been refuted since there was also confusion as to the translation since both HD DVD and Bluray uses Blue Laser technology.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/20/the-wal-mart-299-hd-dvd-player-on-the-way/

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

ssj12 said:
imo.. its not a big lose.. its more of a lose to microsoft handing out all this money. Blu-ray will win this war in the end as Blu-ray is getting cheaper and cheaper.

Why would microsoft be handing out the money? They didn't make HD-DVD. They support it, but it wouldn't be a biggy if HD-DVD lost for them.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

HaHa(sexy hero pose sound from Fable)i found it its really old and its not as cheap as i thought but its still cheap.

The manufacturer is Funai who sells under the names Sylvania,Emerson and Magnavox and sells to large box retailers such as WAL-MART and Target.They havent confirmed a price but Sony is aiming for their Blu-ray players to be $400 this Christmas so Funai's price will be lower then that.
I would say around $300 or lower.

http://www.sonyprotectiongroup.com/?/content/view/205/1/

Before you comment on the site it is coming from just read it and dont complain about the site being pro-Sony or whatever.

Oh and here is some info on Funai:

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

stof said:
Diomedes1976 said:
I highly doubt this is true ,why would they just commit to the losing format ?

Because even the "winning" format isn't doing that well. It's kind of like being the fastest snail in the race. 

Also, I suspect a fair bit of money changed hands.

Reportedly that amount is $150 million US for no longer then 15 months, however I have heard rumors that there is a "Opt Out" of this agreement for Paramount after 1 fiscal quarter.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

Just when I thought we finally had a clear winner in this format war.

Yes I know hd-dvd never really dropped from the race, but I figured with most of the 'good' news going to the Blu camp lately, it was pretty much just a matter of time.

This changes everything. If the Walmart cheapie players come true then the tide changes once again.

I wonder if other studios will follow ....

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Ok, now nobody is going to agree on what format will win.

Its like the movie studios want the format war....

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

This is a ridiculous fight.
It's telling, really!

Shrek is just no match in popularity to Pixar movies. Pixar was bought by Dysney, so that pretty much seals it. If not hardcore cinephile, people will just buy the DVD version.

That's the same for Transformers, and every Michael Bay movies. This is just not a good movie, but it's a Michael Bay so I'm not surprised. I'm surprised that it was bearable to watch and didn't contain (too much) nonsense on computer science things, so it was bearable.

But when they say Steven Spielberg movies aren't part of the deal, you understand the fight is ridiculous. Piece-worker Michael Bay is no match in popularity and skills to Steven Spielberg, and if the fight was real, Steven Spielberg movies would be exclusives too. Now it's just a joke.

Transformers will be forgotten fast, especially all the blurry fight scenes where you don't even understand what's going on (these people need some chinese choreographers and directors, along with japanese ones, really!).

I'll pass on the typical american cheesy and comic relief scenes which have nothing to do in the transformer franchise.

People can take this on DVD too, and then wonder why they bought that (answer: nostalgia).
Transformer fans are not a huge part of the population anyway.

No really, this is a mockery of a fight.

I find hd format fanboys even worse than console fanboys. Too hard to read this thread.