By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP attach rate awful?

According to this site , 5.9 million(lets make it round - 6 million) PSP has been sold in Japan. Software, total 11.8 million (round number 12 million).

So attach rate is 2 to 1, meaning every PSP owner has "only" two games. Unfortunately i can't say about situation in US since there are no "total" software numbers, but it most likely isn't that much different.

What could be the reason of such low attach rate? Lack of good game? Hardly! I don't own PSP(yet) but from what i know it is very easy to hack it and play backup/pirate games, that is most likely main reason.

What are your thought on this one?

Around the Network
Piracy. Personally I believe there is broad group of users who would never buy a PSP if there was no piracy. They lower attach rate it's obvious. Software sale would be on the same level even with much lower userbase. It doesn't mean PSP owners buy less games. Truth is Sony makes some cash even on pirated unit.

Edit:

Personally I bought 9 PSP games so far. 

i don't own a psp but i'll make a guess.
psp is more like a media device than a gaming device.
you can play videos, music, blah blah...
I think people get distracted and don't really look at the gaming part.
The weight and size and the fragile-ness doesn't make it "too" portable.
I personally hadn't seen anyone carry a psp with some sort of enclosure to protect it, in turn increasing its size.
You really have to have a dang big pocket to actually pocket it.

other reason that i usually hear is that psp is basically a handheld ps2. why play on tiny screen when you can enjoy the exact same thing on a big screen?

and if the game is release on both platforms (psp/ps2), how many are going to shelve out the cash to buy the same game twice?

To me, however, would have to be battery life. If I can hack a game and play it on memory stick instead of the umd, I'll play it on memory stick which loads faster and at the same time doesn't drain battery life.

UMD is an example of shoving media format down consumers' throats. (I would love to see a new design that do without the umd)

Attach rate of 2:1 is horrible. People only buy 1 game per year? ouch.

piracy, plus remember it's a great portable media player and many people bought it just for that.

On the other hand, many people who own both a PSP and a PS2 find that they're better off purchasing a PS2 game since there are very few PSP games that are truly different to a PS2 counterpart

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I've used mine as a personal MP3 player more than an actual gaming device, but I love having the games available.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network

They probably just download games to their mem cards, so basically yeh piracy

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

i have like, 30 games on my DS. thats a good attach rate >:FD

I know , its a bit weird . I was shocked , when I heard in May , that there where less than 17 million PSP software shipments . And you know whats even scaryer ... that from that number nearly 2.5 million are Monster Hunter games . And the scaryest from all : there are around 700 games released in Japan for the PSP , while less than 400 in the US and EU regions ... I wonder why ?
Worldwide , the PSP game software sales are nearly 6-1 , wich is not bad , but it still needs to improove . I hope this year , when big games like CC and Dissidia come out in Japan , that number will grow at least 3-1 .

Edit : I have to over 30 games for my PSP to All original ... but then , If I think a bit batter , Im a freak  

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I have around 50 original PS2 games. True, i payed full price for 30 of them, most of the other i bought used or later on when they got cheaper, but still games are original. So those that say that piracy doesn't hurt that much any system are awfully wrong. Attach rate for PS2 is 4.5 i think, overall. Now i am not going to belive that on average people only have some 4-5 games PS2 games when there are SO MANY great games for PS2. Most of PS2 are modded and play piracy games. I am not some hardcore gamer but still i have 50 games. PIRACY hurts a lot, it seems that Sony learned their mistake made on PSP being so easy to mod, so now PS3 is still only "bullet proof" system out there. I am not saying that hackers wont find their way to brake it, but it is going to take time and it ain't gonna be easy now whet it uses blue ray.

Globox82 said:
I have around 50 original PS2 games. True, i payed full price for 30 of them, most of the other i bought used or later on when they got cheaper, but still games are original. So those that say that piracy doesn't hurt that much any system are awfully wrong. Attach rate for PS2 is 4.5 i think, overall. Now i am not going to belive that on average people only have some 4-5 games PS2 games when there are SO MANY great games for PS2. Most of PS2 are modded and play piracy games. I am not some hardcore gamer but still i have 50 games. PIRACY hurts a lot, it seems that Sony learned their mistake made on PSP being so easy to mod, so now PS3 is still only "bullet proof" system out there. I am not saying that hackers wont find their way to brake it, but it is going to take time and it ain't gonna be easy now whet it uses blue ray.

I own 4 PS2 games and the 4th was only purchased because it got me a mail-in rebate when I purchased the PS2. It wasn't my primary system and I didn't get it till it was $120. The only reason I finally got one was because I'd had 3 games that I was playing on my brother's system until he bought his house and moved out.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.