By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UBS Sees Trouble In Weak Performance Of Madden ‘08 On PS3

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/08/17/sony-ubs-sees-trouble-in-weak-performance-of-madden-08-on-ps3/

August 17, 2007, 2:31 pm
Sony: UBS Sees Trouble In Weak Performance Of Madden ‘08 On PS3
Posted by Eric Savitz

UBS software analyst Benjamin Schachter today noted that the blogosphere is “full post posts highlighting the relatively weaker performance” of Electronic Arts’ (ERTS) Madden NFL ‘08 game on the Sony (SNE) Playstation 3 compared to the Microsoft (MSFT) Xbox 360.

You can do your own comparison at Gametrailers.com, which has a video clip with scenes from the same running side by side; and I’d tend to agree that the Xbox 360 version looks cleaner. Here’s another side-by-side comparison.

“While discussions of frame rates and performance are not typically deemed important by investors, given Madden’s popularity, this is a more meaningful negative for Sony than investors may realize, and one more reason not to buy a PS3″ following the delayed shipment of Take-Two’s (TTWO) Grand Theft Auto IV, he wrote.

Around the Network

The PS3 version being bad is old news. It is somewhat interesting that a huge investment firm actually took the time to analyze and publish it for the public though.

Whats with these analyst with "-achter" last names?

To Each Man, Responsibility

Sony does have the advantages that a) not many people own both a PS3 and 360 so most PS3 owners won't have a choice in versions and b) I don't think many people buy a system based on Madden 08 framerates. Then again maybe they do, we'll see.

What is this a conspiracy against Sony? Why is this all of a sudden such a big deal that UBS friggen gets pulled into it? Ok the framerate is lower, but this is becoming a bit ridiculous. This issue is expected to be a hot debate in the gaming circle, but not in the mainstream. EVERYBODY is crapping on the PS3, it is absolutely insane.

Around the Network

its just a little bit worse, i dont expect much damage from it. Ill tell you right now, if i was choosing between 360 and ps3 wouldnt be cause of madden framerates (would be like always..... game selection)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

People are not going to buy or not buy a system based on frame rates in Madden NFL sorry mr analyst and fishyjoe :)

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I think it's more a problem for EA sales than it is for Sony's PS3 really. EA were really short sighted in obviously favouring one console over the other publicly. it'll cost them sales on the PS3 version. Maybe they got compensated for that though.

ckmlb said:
People are not going to buy or not buy a system based on frame rates in Madden NFL sorry mr analyst and fishyjoe :)

The problem is when investment bankers talk, investors listen. UBS is among the largest banks in that regard (read: very high-end banking).

Investors are too busy seeing where to invest their money to look in detail at any one market or company. That's why they have organizations like UBS to do the research. It saves investors the time and effort required to gain insight and knowledge about a company or industry.

Therefore, when UBS says "this may be a problem and here's our reasoning why", investors only see as far as "this may be a problem". That's enough to send investor dollars elsewhere.

Chubear said:
I think it's more a problem for EA sales than it is for Sony's PS3 really. EA were really short sighted in obviously favouring one console over the other publicly. it'll cost them sales on the PS3 version. Maybe they got compensated for that though.

You do know that Take-Two had the same frame rate problem with All-Pro Football 2K8? So this isn't just an EA problem. Two separate developers had the exact same problem on two different football games.

The rEVOLution is not being televised