By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Probably) First Heavenly Sword review - This is next gen!

windbane said:
Play Magazine
Score:  100
What MotorStorm has become to racing and Odin Sphere to action role-playing, Heavenly Sword is now to 3D action: Perfection. [Sept 2007, p.17]
But whatever, you guys can continue to bash the game despite its good score.
I like short games.  I can't play them all.
Btw, Bioshock is 12 hours or so of gameplay if you go through the game at a fast pace.  
Stop being Vultures. 

"What Motorstorm has become to racing..."

That's is a very funny statement in itself. Motorstorm was competent, not groundbreaking. Ya, the physics were great, but the game wasn't the best in the world. Why don't they say "what Gran Turismo has become to racing..."?

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network

Seriously, this argument about the game being too short is weak.

God Of War, Onimusha, and Devil May Cry were all shorter than ten hours. Also, comparing it to GOW multiplayer being 50+ hours is ridiculous. It's a multiplayer online game.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

albionus said:
konnichiwa said:
albionus said:
It's good to see the self declared hardcore gamers are willing to give a short but sweet game the time of day. I was beginning to worry if the game wasn't an epic 100+hour marathon of a game that you guys didn't want anything to do with it. First it was the Halo 3 beta that caused the "hardcore crowd" to relearn that graphics aren't everything.  Now Heavenly Sword is reminding them that game length is also not everything I'm happy to say the "hardcore" gamer's progression to sanity continues.

Did the hardcore gamers complained about the short MGS and GOW games?

The last MGS game was before the current "hardcore/real gamers" decided they were a seperate group.  As for GoW (Gears of War I take it?) it has plenty of replay and online multiplayer so until defending Heavenly Sword's length became the vogue I don't recall anyone saying it was short.   Just a few months ago the hardcore mantra was we only play epic games, epic games, epic games (with the insinuation that such games were only possible on the PS360).  Granted the reviewer called at least the story in this game "epic" but as I mentioned before they seem to not understand what an epic story is.  At any rate, an epic game this is not yet the hardcore gamers seem to like it, which is an improvement.

Sorry I was talking about God of war = GOW.

In fact I don't know many who said that.

HS genre is not really a game genre that exists of games that haves long gameplayhours.

konnichiwa said:

HS genre is not really a game genre that exists of games that haves long gameplayhours.

Oh ok, I don't know about God of War.  The usual defense has been Gears of War was also short.  I do know (well know of) many who've said that.  Not on this site since it has much more representative sample of gamers which is why I like it.  Many other sites like kotaku, joystiq, IGN, neogaf, and so forth have message boards/comment threads filled with hardcore gamers saying they only play epic games that can only be on the PS360.  I referred to Heavenly Sword as a short and sweet game earlier because I am well aware that it's not a the kind of game that's predicated on being long.

@Arrk

Drats, you beat me to it.  I thought the exact same thing, how about what GT has done to racing games.  I'll have to defer on Odin Sphere since I'm not aware of what that game did to/for anything.

Arkk said:
windbane said:
Play Magazine
Score: 100
What MotorStorm has become to racing and Odin Sphere to action role-playing, Heavenly Sword is now to 3D action: Perfection. [Sept 2007, p.17]
But whatever, you guys can continue to bash the game despite its good score.
I like short games. I can't play them all.
Btw, Bioshock is 12 hours or so of gameplay if you go through the game at a fast pace.
Stop being Vultures.

"What Motorstorm has become to racing..."

That's is a very funny statement in itself. Motorstorm was competent, not groundbreaking. Ya, the physics were great, but the game wasn't the best in the world. Why don't they say "what Gran Turismo has become to racing..."?

Perhaps they are referring to the online part, which is the best of any racing game to date.  12 players and no lag, not to mention every "map" has about 3 different tracks/paths to go depending on what vehicle you have.  Pretty good. 

Around the Network
albionus said:
konnichiwa said:

Oh ok, I don't know about God of War. The usual defense has been Gears of War was also short. I do know (well know of) many who've said that. Not on this site since it has much more representative sample of gamers which is why I like it. Many other sites like kotaku, joystiq, IGN, neogaf, and so forth have message boards/comment threads filled with hardcore gamers saying they only play epic games that can only be on the PS360. I referred to Heavenly Sword as a short and sweet game earlier because I am well aware that it's not a the kind of game that's predicated on being long.

@Arrk

Drats, you beat me to it. I thought the exact same thing, how about what GT has done to racing games. I'll have to defer on Odin Sphere since I'm not aware of what that game did to/for anything.

Odin Sphere is just the best 2-D action/RPG released in quite some time. It looks great on the PS2 and has huge sprites and bosses.

My theory is the source was just listing recent examples of great games.

Edit:  But anyway, can we stop picking apart reviews?  The score tells you the overall opinion. 

@Windbane
Then it's a poorly written sentence. If they meant Motorstorm's online mode then they should have said what Motorstorm did to online racing. However, Play gave Motorstorm a 91/100, the highest on the Wikipedia page the average is 83, so they obviously think something about Motorstorm was great. As for Odin Sphere I also see that Play gave it a 100/100 compared with an 88 being the next highest on Wikipedia with an average of 83 so again they clearly think it's something great. I think in both cases it's pretty obvious they are alone in heaping such high praise on those two games. Amongst major review magazines it's looking like Play being similarly deserted on Heavenly Sword is a possibility.

LOL wii owners are mad it got a great review, not surprising at all.

Hs will probably be reviewed maybe 1 point of from what God of War got.

Don't you think that this is just somewhat biased Hus, giving a perfect score to a game that isn't perfect. I'm still waiting for an unbiased score metroid prime 3 and heavenly sword.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

^Wrong person

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you