By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii losing its FPS fans?

frybread said:

What happened?!?

For one thing, it was a launch title on Wii, which means gamers hungry for an FPS had ony two options for quite some time: Red Steel or CoD3. So, naturally, it sold solidly.

Secondly, I didn't realize the Wii had a big base of FPS fans to begin with (they aren't exactly catered to very heavily, are they?), so it's a safe to bet that quite a few are getting their fix (like me!) on PC/360/PS3.

Finally, the other posters have covered any and all other possibilities and it's pretty painfully obvious it's going to out-sell 3 in the not-too-distant future.

So to directly answer your question: nothing.

Around the Network

When was the Wii ever considered the FPS console...? Did I miss something? I thought 360 had a problem trying to remove that label. Why would there be any question why people skipped both PS3 and Wii to get this game.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Goodriddance, fps games need to go away, permanently.

motavia said:
Goodriddance, fps games need to go away, permanently.

Hardly.  All genres of games have at least a few games in them that are fun.  FPS are no exception.  But like all genres of games, FPS also have an endless ocean of copycat and worthless product to sift through to find those few good ones.  And FPS could use a good genre-breaking game to kill off all those copycat games and revitalize the creative juices.  And no, the stuff we've seen on the PS3/360 in the last few years have not been it.  We need a GAMEPLAY based revolutionary change, not just amazing graphics and a new twist on the old.

Wii owners aren't enthusiastic to the point that most of them buy the game on day 1.

Many games will have to crawl to a million, FPS included.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network

I never used to buy FPS. I hate the dual analog controls. now I have Medal of honor heroes & Call of duty WAW and I can't wait till the conduit comes out. I now consider myself a FPS fan. So I think It's gaining fans.

Wichdog69

Its weird that the Wii doesn't have like bun loads of FPS games. The pointer is perfect for it. We do have the conduit and the Metroid remakes coming this year though.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

novasonic said:
Its weird that the Wii doesn't have like bun loads of FPS games. The pointer is perfect for it. We do have the conduit and the Metroid remakes coming this year though.

There should have been a ton of Zapper games by now as well too.  Especially since Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles was a million seller and the other Zapper games aren't doing half bad for ports.

But it doesn't really mean much.  The Wii just needs more Third Party support on the whole, and so that's why it lacks FPS, Zapper and etc support.

As some people correctly pointed out, the FPS base is increasing, but that's completely expected. Games tend to sell more in year 3 than in year 1 you know.

But the Wii isn't really selling shooters.

What do you have?

Link's Crossbow Training - 2.93M, but should sell 3.5-4M. Still, it's Link - the sales are expected.

RE4 - 1.76M. 

RE:UC - 1.33M.

Red Steel - 1.08M

House of Dead 2&3 - 0.94M

CoD 3 - 0.63M

Cod:WaW - 0.6M

Ghost Squad - 0.58M

MoH - 0.27M

.... And then there's none above 200K.

Needless to say, this is nothing.

The Ps3 has 27 games that sold more than 200K.  That's 3 times of the Wii.

The Ps3 has 17 games that sold over 500K. That's more than 2 times of the Wii.

And the 360 has 23 games that beat 1000K.

Quite simply, the Wii isn't a shooter platform. Selling 1M + is impressive for a Wii shooter title, and CoD: WaW should make that.

The Wii may be a good platform for shooters (quality wise), but they simply don't sell well on the platform.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:

As some people correctly pointed out, the FPS base is increasing, but that's completely expected. Games tend to sell more in year 3 than in year 1 you know.

But the Wii isn't really selling shooters.

What do you have?

Link's Crossbow Training - 2.93M, but should sell 3.5-4M. Still, it's Link - the sales are expected.

RE4 - 1.76M.  - Pretty good for a last gen port

RE:UC - 1.33M. - Pretty good for a Rail shooter

Red Steel - 1.08M - The game sold on hype and possibliity and quicky dived in sales based on the game itself. If the game had proper shooting controls it would still be selling today

House of Dead 2&3 - 0.94M - again, pretty good for a rail shooter

CoD 3 - 0.63M - needs Euro sales as well

Cod:WaW - 0.6M - and still going

Ghost Squad - 0.58M - That rail shooter thing again

MoH - 0.27M - needs Euro sales

Quantum of Solace - 3hundred and something - you forgot about this one.

Metroid Prime 3: 1.5ish - FPA my ass, this one had a damn lot of shooting.

The real problem is that there are just so few shooters on the Wii. The PS3 and Xbox are constantly getting FPS's. If the Wii actually started getting the games it would be selling a lot of them. World at War is going to sell quite well and Conduit will move some great numbers too. The Wii just needs more devs to make the damn games.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.