By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I wonder if it would be possible to make Microsoft bankrupt

Well, technically our health care system isn't free, but the way we pay for it is much better than the way the people of the US has to pay.

Our education system is better than in the US, you very rarely see a British school holding a bake sale to raise some money, and we teach creationism only in Religious Education, where it belongs.

Around the Network
Warlord_ said:
The US has better heath care then Canada and same with the education system.

According to who? Not the World Health Organization, or the 40 million uninsured Americans, or the millions of insured Americans who are still denied coverage. To the very wealthy Americans who can afford to pay for whatever medical service they want perhaps, but I consider my self damn lucky to be a Canadian. I don't know where my family would be if it weren't for our healthcare system.

And the U.S. has really screwed up their education system as well.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Warlord_ said:
The US is by far the best country in the world, they give more money and food to poor countries then any other nation. All the rest of the world bitches when the US leaves countries to kill themselfs and they bitch when they do something, i just wish all you people would stop bashing the best country in the world.

Wow. I replied to your other post before seeing this one. You do realize that as a percentage of the GDP, the U.S. actually gives less than any other developed nation right? As for the second part... I'm not even going to go near that one.

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

@stof, is the Canadian healthcare system similar to most of Europes, where you pay for it in your taxes? Or is it similar to the USAs where you have to pay on the day, or you are turfed out to heal yourself.

Cobretti said:
lol this is not how i intended the topic to go.

It was ment to be all fun based on the i'm live msn program.
(if anyone actually clicked that link and read it).

The point was do you think you could exploit that system and how many users would you need 

I already explained how microsoft can only benefit from this *sigh* check my earlier post.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
elprincipe said:
Mummelmann said:

So yes, I do give. As does the Norwegian government as opposed to the US (the US pays out the same annual sum for 3rd world aid as Norway does, despite the fact that they have an NP over 60 times higher...).

I'm afraid you're a little ignorant of how charity works in the U.S. The vast, vast majority of charitable giving is done through private, not public, organizations. While the U.S. government doesn't contribute the amount per capita to charity that Norway and many other countries admirably give, Americans as a whole are quite generous in this regard. There was an excellent article about this in The Economist some time ago that I can't seem to find online.

Hmm, okay. Makes sense since the market economy rules the US, but I'd still want the government (who boldly claim to wish well for all the poor or oppressed peoples of the world) would give away a bigger slice of the pie. Then again, I'm sure everyone would want everyone to give more.

There is also the problem that throwing money at something doesn't fix it. One other reason the US gov't dislikes financial aid is because they don't go directly to the people in need.

Besides, the US gov't as a whole prefers more direct forms of aid to financial aid, such as Peace Corp or even sending out a fleet when the Tsunami hit in SE Asia (which raised favorbale views of the US quite a bit in Indonesia). 

SamuelRSmith said:
@stof, is the Canadian healthcare system similar to most of Europes, where you pay for it in your taxes? Or is it similar to the USAs where you have to pay on the day, or you are turfed out to heal yourself.

It's public and tax funded (for the most part. Many elective procedures and dental aren't covered)

And White Devil, I highly doubt the U.S. gives so little in foreign aid because they're not sure it will be effective.

"Besides, the US gov't as a whole prefers more direct forms of aid to financial aid, such as Peace Corp or even sending out a fleet when the Tsunami hit in SE Asia (which raised favorbale views of the US quite a bit in Indonesia). "

Shame they didn't react as well with New Orleans

In topic again ...

Of course it is theorically possible for Microsoft to go bankrupt .

But seeing the actual numbers it is extremely difficult .They gain so much money from their OS monopoly that they can literally throw millions out of the window without them being in risk .

That being said ,if they continue to sink so much money in the Xbox business and their OS position gets compromised by the recent grow of Apple and Linux applications they could find themselves in trouble .Paying 50 million to Rockstar for some downloadable content ,god knows if their money is behind the Paramount issue ,1 billion dollar in extended warranties ,the Zune sinking like the Titanic ......their OS monopoly has big shoulders to keep all this working and MS bribing developers and producers to dance their music ,but if their OS monopoly shatters they could be in trouble .And there are some ,still weak ,signs of this happening ,with lots of developers throwing their support behind to Apple and Linux recently ,and with Internet Explorer losing some market against Firefox...