By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Finally King again, now what?

Nintendo is NOT yet King. At best it has its fingers on the crown. Before it can be king, it will have to fight off the other contenders at least through this holiday.

Around the Network
misterd said:
Nintendo is NOT yet King. At best it has its fingers on the crown. Before it can be king, it will have to fight off the other contenders at least through this holiday.

Well so far it doesn't seem to hard to "fight off the other contenders".

And to RolStoppable, yeah i realize that i'm probably a bit too worried, but people should at least a little in the back of thier minds. I'm not saying give up hope and die, i'm saying be conscience of the possible outcomes with the Wii, assuming it greatly succeeds as "King" this gen (which i don't doubt will happen).

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

I think samus should be a FF character..

On topic: Every week that passs the chances of the wii dominating increases as the sales hold strong.

mM

JoelCool7, I think you have to realize that "killer apps" have been redefined.

You DO have killer apps and two examples are Wii Sports and Wii Play.

Zelda sells but that game isn't having the impact those two are having.

The industry is shifting much like Sean Malstrom long predicted. Our definition of what makes a hit game has to change as well. There are the "ol' school killer apps" like Metroid Prime 3 and then there are those potential "sleeper apps" like perhaps "Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None" coming out toward the end of the year. Can you imagine how that could sell to people in retirement homes? Older people love mysteries.

I don't think many of us have really gotten our heads around how the industry has forever changed. The Wii IS selling because of killer apps in its library; it's just that some people don't recognize them being killer apps that's the problem.

Any game that sells a ton or sells a ton AND moves systems is a killer app. And if that title just happens to go to games like Mario Party 8 and High School Musical so be it.

Just because we may not like the game doesn't mean it's not a hit. Now just because something's not a hit game doesn't make it bad. Not at all. Many unsung heroes in gaming and will always be. But a hit is a hit is a hit, no matter what the genre or direction. And because of those hits the other games can have a supportive platform to get a piece of the spotlight.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

@Legend: I am not saying that Sony and Microsoft shouldn't try to attract casuals, I am saying that there halfassed attempts will cost them more money than it will make them.  This follows their destructive pattern of trying to "defeat" the competititon.  You don't have to be thankful to the casuals.  I don't like a lot of games, but I don't worry if other peolpe like them.  I feel a lot of anger from you, that you feel like you are losing something or that someone is attacking you, but I wasn't.
There are still plenty of people that don't play games, so that they can expand the market without having to worry about what the others are doing.  Just make a good product and market it soundly.
Xbox360 has some great software and marketing, but is a bad product, the hardware is faulty and outside the range of what many are willing to spend on a toy.
PS3 is way out of that range, lacks the 360's software, and the marketing is insanely bad. 
Of course since you attacked my argument I will now commence in destroying yours. :P 
Legend11 said:
steven787 said:
Too much talk about "perfection". Both the MS quote (from Legend11) and rickthestick2's observations revolve around the idea of perfection.

You can please some of the people all of the time (1) or all of the people some of the time (2), but you can't please everybody all of the time.

(1) MS and Sony's approach
(2) Nintendo's approach.

Though MS trying to get casuals to buy the 360 shows a lack of focus.

I think that both Wii and atleast one of the HD Consoles can be popular and successful at the same time. Both Sony and MS could make a profit if they focused on their own business instead of killing the other's. Underlined to attract attention to this point which seems to be misunderstood.
my additions look like this.

Why does it show a lack of focus?  MS has spent the last to years trying to place itself as the most hardcore machine, pushing Scene it and Viva Pinata Party is not following the plan they have invested billions into.  I am not saying that MS should not make those games, I am saying their business model is infantile. They have the hardcore covered Worldwide sales show that the recent traditional titles (what you call hardcore) AND casual titles are dominated by Nintendo as a Publisher and third parties on Nintendo consoles among current gen consoles.  so what's wrong with them trying to expand their market, you know exactly what Nintendo is trying to do.  Microsoft was completely focused on the hardcore last generation and look where that got them, they learn from past mistakes each generation, They learned from what mistakes?  Sell stuff at a loss, lose money.  Pretty well established.  If you are going to sell mass market products offer them something they can understand and utilize.  Also pretty basic.this generation's lessons are to make damn sure the hardware is well built and to expand from a hardcore audience.    Yes, last gen the console killed babies and burned down houses, this gen it just kills itself.  Quick get a towel.

Also I have no clue what you're talking about in your two sentences, you feel Microsoft and Sony should leave Nintendo alone to dominate the massive casual market, that's idiotic.  I don't think they should leave the market alone, I think they need to focus on sound business practices, and I make that pretty clear in most of my posts on the subject.  Just look at what RolStoppable wrote in their last post in this thread, it's exactly the same thing that Microsoft is now trying to do (maybe to a far less extent and success than Nintendo but you can bet they're going to work on in from this year forward).

To be fair, Sony seems to be equally as confused as MS.  Like I said in other threads, I think MS is in a better position to turn there situation around than Sony is.  I don't think either one will though, I think they will continue the money fight.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
johnlucas said:

The industry is shifting much like Sean Malstrom long predicted. Our definition of what makes a hit game has to change as well. There are the "ol' school killer apps" like Metroid Prime 3 and then there are those potential "sleeper apps" like perhaps "Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None" coming out toward the end of the year. Can you imagine how that could sell to people in retirement homes? Older people love mysteries.

Wanna make a wager on Agatha Christie there? There may be the new type of killer apps in Wii Sports and Play but Agatha Christie will not sell....

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
johnlucas said:

Wanna make a wager on Agatha Christie there? There may be the new type of killer apps in Wii Sports and Play but Agatha Christie will not sell....

Totally agree, though it is a super low budget port of a super low budget PC game.  It's almost straight profit for every copy sold.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.