By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Numbers have Spoken - Wii is the New PS2!!

TWRoO said:
colonelstubbs said:
Selling like yes...but not being played as much as the ps2...

So wait.... the Wii has a higher attach ratio than the PS2 over the same time frame (actually giving the PS2 an advantage because it had 7 months longer in Japan for the way I worked it out) but people just don't play their games?

I would have thought that if people are not interested in the games they would stop buying more.

sorry dude PS2 i still most played console. I can give you link

Around the Network

Go Nintendo! That is amazing the Wii has done much for the industry. The only thing that bogs me with it is that it will never have half the game library PS2 did.

Snake said:
TWRoO said:
colonelstubbs said:

So wait.... the Wii has a higher attach ratio than the PS2 over the same time frame (actually giving the PS2 an advantage because it had 7 months longer in Japan for the way I worked it out) but people just don't play their games?

I would have thought that if people are not interested in the games they would stop buying more.

If you plan on using the Neilson survey first demonstrate that a survey is an adequate way of measuring the playing habits of gamers ...

Snake said:
TWRoO said:
colonelstubbs said:

Oh right, you mean that article where the Wii is over double the time spent than the PS3.

Yes that would be what is called useless evidence, because it happens to be the 8th year of the PS2 compared to the second for the Wii.... which means comparing 43+ million PS2 users, most having had considerably more time to build up their libraries, to around 17 million Wii owners who at most have had 2 years to build a library.

TWRoO said:
Snake said:
TWRoO said:
colonelstubbs said:

Oh right, you mean that article where the Wii is over double the time spent than the PS3.

Yes that would be what is called useless evidence, because it happens to be the 8th year of the PS2 compared to the second for the Wii.... which means comparing 43+ million PS2 users, most having had considerably more time to build up their libraries, to around 17 million Wii owners who at most have had 2 years to build a library.

No, dude they counted after all 3 consoles were launched. Don't have to be so upset dude. PS2 just has much better libary than wii. PS3 is played much more in Germany, France, England and Australia :D

Around the Network
Snake said:

No, dude they counted after all 3 consoles were launched. Don't have to be so upset dude. PS2 just has much better libary than wii. PS3 is played much more in Germany, France, England and Australia :D

You don't think it logical that a userbase of 43 million people will play twice as much as a system with an install base half its size and a quarter its age?

Duh?

And i am pretty sure they counted same number of PS2s and Wiis sold. PS2 is just much easier and simple to play and it has 3rd party support.

eh no the Wii+PS3 would be the new PS2. If you do not touch a huge part of gamers at all and most highly rated games are not on your system you are not comparable to the PS2.

Kyros said:
eh no the Wii+PS3 would be the new PS2. If you do not touch a huge part of gamers at all and most highly rated games are not on your system you are not comparable to the PS2.

The PS2's strength was essentially in Japanese-developed games except for a few EA games and Sony's first parties.

I don't see the difference.

Snake said:
TWRoO said:
Snake said:
TWRoO said:
colonelstubbs said:

Yes.... I know.

You will have to post a link, but if it is indeed the Neilsen survey then these are the facts:

1. It was a survey using a sample of people, similar to what VGChartz does to find out sales (except and even smaller sample of the market than VGC uses)

2. It was console usage for the USA only, during 2008.

3. The size of the PS2 userbase during that time was between 40 million at the start of the year,  and 43 million users by the end, each with an average of 11 games..... so say 41.5 million users times 11 games

4. The size of the Wii userbase during that time was between 7 million at the start of the year, and 17 million at the end of the year, each with an average of about 6.5-7.5 games (about 6.5 at the start of the year, it's higher now)..... so say 12 million users times 7 games.

----

Do you see the difference?

If you hadn't noticed.... in that same survey, the original Xbox had more time spent on it than the PS3 in 2008.... that is because it had userbase of 14.5 million or so, and an average games per person of more like 10 than the PS3s 6-7