By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

I called something like this was going to happen in the It's to peaceful thread ^_^

Former something....

Around the Network
celine said:

ROFLMAO!!!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

If he said something along the lines of "zOMG we're doomed, I

@steverhcp:

I just don't understand your point. In the first post you say that we can't compare Wii to PS360, while in the core there obviously the same: gameconsoles. They are looking for the same audience: people that play games.

DVD, BluRay and VHS all play films. They're in the same market and indeed sometimes "old tech" will be replaced by "new tech" but this doesn't change the fact that they look for the same customers: people that buy films. So it doesn't create a new market, it just takes over that market.

To illustrate that Wii and PS360 are competing with each other:

PS2 sold 50 million in North America. 50 million!!! That's 1 in 6! I figure that's 1 in 3 households that own a PS2! Now I'm sure Wii has been bought by people that never bought a system before, but on average it replaces the PS2, with the big difference that the whole family, instead of just the kids, use it.

NPD affirms this as according to them 70% of Wii owners owned a PS2.

My post wasn't meant offensive, but the "Wii doesn't compete" meme has been done for over two years now.

celine said:

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

Around the Network
magik10 said:
This my favorite quote:

"
We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai."

he's nuts.....

Not really, this is just a smoke screen to hide the fact that the PS-3 was in deep trouble, when Sony realized that they were unable to develop the companion chip for the PS-3. In this moment the whole programming model for the PS-3 went up in smoke. They had an expensive special designed processor but suddenly they were unable to use it efficiently. And a part of their efforts was also used to create the heart of their direct competitor, the triple core of the Xbox360.

Groucho said:
If he said something along the lines of "zOMG we're doomed, I <3 my 360 and Wii rulez all" or "No comment", then I'd be upset with him.

I applaud him for supporting the PS3 community, and being bold about simply moving forward. To be honest, I actually agree with him -- the Wii is a different kind of platform that can (and does) co-exist with the PS3 (rather, the PS3 co-exists with it, might be more accurate), and the 360 will need an upgrade way sooner than the PS3 will.

Besides, MS is tired of competing for the smaller HD market -- Blue Ocean is *exactly* where MS wants to go. The next XBox will probably be embarassingly Wii-clonelike. But... it serves the MS purpose, so there ya go.

Why does the 360 need an upgrade way sooner than the PS3?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

One thing I find particularly interesting is that people use their own personal assumptions to conclude that "Casual" gamers are mostly new to gaming and that they will eventually graduate to "Hardcore" games ...

I could be wrong but I suspect that if we had complete data from previous generations, added up multiplatform releases, and then listed games that sold more than 250,000 units we would see that what people define as "Casual" gaming has been huge for quite some time.

I laughed at the Wii doesn't count comment and the last time I checked Microsoft never had a system last more than 4 to 5 years. Last time I checked Microsoft only had one console before the 360.

HappySqurriel said:

One thing I find particularly interesting is that people use their own personal assumptions to conclude that "Casual" gamers are mostly new to gaming and that they will eventually graduate to "Hardcore" games ...

I could be wrong but I suspect that if we had complete data from previous generations, added up multiplatform releases, and then listed games that sold more than 250,000 units we would see that what people define as "Casual" gaming has been huge for quite some time.

Just check the PS2 Top 50. Casual gaming was basically invented by PlayStation (hence the hatred from Sega, Nintendo and PC gamers that Sony killed hardcore gaming when the PS1 took off. Funny...).

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=PS2&keyword=&publisher=&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=