By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

To you, who say that Nintendo isn't competing, should propably learn something about blue ocean strategy and disruption.
What Hirai says about competing, i can assure that PS3 is doomed (and that was Hirai who said how they will doom PS3). Wii has a strong foothold on the downmarket, it moves upstream, where PS3 is forced to compete or move upmarket. This continues until next gen, but, there's a catch; if PS3 keeps non-competetive strategy and keeps moving upstream, they'll hit the PC territory and that PS3 can't compete with having an upmarket strategy.
So, Hirais statements are the most worrying on Sonys behalf.

@Radha: Actually, your MB and Harley comparision was pretty spot-on. A couple of years ago middle-aged men got invitations from retailers to come and try Harley out as an promotional campaign. It was supposed to show the "youth and freedom" (Nordlead can explain this better) that is usually linked to bikes, for men in their middle-age crisis.
Soon after the Harley campaign, there was a TV ad which started with an "easy rider" driving down the road with his Harley. The rider looked his mirror and noticed a light phenomenon closing in on him. He hit the gas, but the light kept closing. He hit more gas and soon a new Mercedes drove to his side with two females at their twenties in it. They slowed down, took a look at the easy rider and drove away giggling, leaving the biker behind them.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

In some ways Kaz is right, in some ways he is wrong.

Right now, there are still developers and games which are not going to go to the Wii. For example, Godfather II is Xbox 360 and PS3 only -- even though most people considered the Wii version superior. (It has the highest Gameranking score). Kaz's battle in the short-run is to make sure that the console does not lose those games.

In the long-run, Sony needs to figure out what Playstation means. It has decided it does not mean Sony Ericsson phones. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=206184 It used to mean everything. Now it just can mean certain things.

But regardless of what it means, it will not be state of the art in 2016.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

papflesje said:
@ pristine: A bit more realism to his words would be perfectly understandable. He can paint the portrait he wants, in order to make the PS3 look its best, but don't go reaching for things that aren't really reachable.

Exactly right. He's supposed to make the ps3 "look it's best". If Kaz of all people said some negatives about the ps3, I bet you the shareholders would really start running. As for his goals not being reachable, surely the probability of him reaching them may be 0.0001 but it certainly isn't zero...now, let the man be.

Frankly, I admire his cheerfulness. I'd be peeing my pants if I were in his shoes.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Seriously, did you guys expect Kaz to come out and say "I agree with all the game journalists, ps3 is doomed" or "ps3 is in last place and it's future looks bleak"? Is that what you would've said if you were in his shoes? I guess that's why he is CEO and chances are that you could never get to that kind of position.

Something a little more intelligent and less 4th grade would be nice from the head of a company. Maybe even something a little humble, like "Our past direction may not have headed where we would have liked, but we have new visions for our direction, bringing the Playstation brand into a more favorable position"

Hell, they should hire me as their spokesperson.

Just noticed he said this about programming on the PS3

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai"

Seriously that is worth a thread all on its own.....

Around the Network

goddamnit sony,
"nintendo doesn't count"??????
Sounds like something I would say in a forum, which actually doesn't count.

ARRRGHH Stop hurting your image!!

PS: Haha Wii doesn't count! LOL Take that Wii fanboys!

@ pristine: well, then I point to happysqurriel's post. He should've done it that way.

What makes the not competing statement rather ridiculous is they just put out a press release last week comparing the consoles.

Hyruken said:

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai"

What.

Khuutra said:
Hyruken said:

What.

I hope he mispoke or something, because if he really means it, then Sony is doomed. Seriously, if they aren't providing the best developer tools they possibly can, then they are doing a diservice to their developers.