By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

Ya it's a little silly when they claim the Wii isn't competition. While I don't have any specific numbers to back this up, I highly suspect that a fairly large percentage of the mass market will only buy 1 console per gen, so dollars to the Wii are arguably dollars that the ps3 isn't making.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

Around the Network

One thing I don't understand is why they keep boxing themselves into a corner. If they release a new console before the 10 years is up, they will never hear the end of it.

FishyJoe said:
One thing I don't understand is why they keep boxing themselves into a corner. If they release a new console before the 10 years is up, they will never hear the end of it.

Unless they move the goalposts for the ten year plan.

seece said:
BTFeather55 said:
Well, he is right about the 360, the closer we get to the release of Gears 3, the closer we get to the launch of the next xbox and the retirement of the 360. And, the Wii is a 6th gen console (albeit the strongest one) competing for the favor of people that have never been that much into gaming while losing a lot of longtime gamers that weren't raised on Nintendo.

Dude do you have to keep going on about Gears 3 and it being the end of the 360, you know nothing.

When they release Gears 3, what its? oh fuck we need to release the next xbox, we have nothing left ....

If they release Gears 3 on the current 360, they will have a much harder time selling the next xbox, and when your key game is headed towards your next console most other development starts to follow.

Of course, if they choose to keep the 360 on the market much longer the PS3 will overtake it by the end of 2010 as Sony will have a massive quantity of exclusive games on the way from first and second parties, Hideo Kojima, Sega, and Square while other than Halo and Gears the 360 really doesn't have any strong games and Gears really saved it last holiday season.  Without Gears, the PS3 would have slaughtered the 360 during the holidays.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

i give the man credit for staying positive, "in times of war, silence may be best"

Around the Network

Discounting both of your competitors in this way wouldn't even fool a five year old. Surely there's a better way to spin "we are really last but this is how i can get away with saying we are 1st."

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

To hear an executive say what certain bloggers have repeated for a long time is just priceless!

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Seriously, did you guys expect Kaz to come out and say "I agree with all the game journalists, ps3 is doomed" or "ps3 is in last place and it's future looks bleak"? Is that what you would've said if you were in his shoes? I guess that's why he is CEO and chances are that you could never get to that kind of position.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

@ pristine: A bit more realism to his words would be perfectly understandable. He can paint the portrait he wants, in order to make the PS3 look its best, but don't go reaching for things that aren't really reachable.

Pristine20 said:
Seriously, did you guys expect Kaz to come out and say "I agree with all the game journalists, ps3 is doomed" or "ps3 is in last place and it's future looks bleak"? Is that what you would've said if you were in his shoes? I guess that's why he is CEO and chances are that you could never get to that kind of position.

They could try to learn from Nintendo, and rather than making outrageous claims they could demonstrate how the PS3 is successful regardless of its performance in the console war ...