By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan Wake will be HUGE!

Well, since no one else is feeling up to it . . .

. . .

. . .

. . . so Garnet, do you mean LBP huge, GeoW Huge or SSBB HUGE?

Around the Network

Holy shit @ those graphics..

The different times in those roadside pics.. wow, I ,mean I knew it looked good, but wow.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

CGI-Quality said:
@ Seraphic

Not to derail the thread but I think at the end of the day, Alan Wake will play very diffrent from HEAVY RAIN. Alan Wake = sand box survival horror(WOW, THE AWESOMENESS) and HEAVY RAIN will be a mature themed, adult thriller/adventure, but not sand box style (MORE AWESOMENESS). A bit different but both will = PURE WIN!!!

You guys need to wise up. This is a parody thread.

Anyway, yes, past that, both these games will be good.

You seem to be a Heavy Rain fan, but I wonder if you've ever played Indigo Prophecy. Heavy Rain is a spiritual sequel to this game, and the gameplay is identical. Story and graphics have been upgraded. If you think you might become a HR fanboy, you really should play that game. You have no business discussing the gameplay if you haven't, seeing as how the gameplay in them both, ala quicktime cutscenes are directly copy and pasted.

You wanna see Heavy Rain? Go to youtube and type in "Indigo Prophecy."

That said, Indigo Prophecy is a great game, especially to those people who enjoy attempts at more adult narratives in their gaming. Virtually a moviei in a game, with a lot of tense moments thrown in there so you can pretend like you're actually playing. I would say it's one of the best and most under-rated games of last gen, and I recommend it to anyone.

If you are hyped about Heavy Rain, but have never played Indigo Prophecy, then you really shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone, including yourself. Your game, Heavy Rain, is already out, except then they called it Indigo Prophecy, and it's awesome. Why aren't you playing it?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Alan Wake:
31 employee staff
3+ years of active development
9+ million dollar budget

Killzone 2
130 employee staff
5 years of active development
30-60 million dollar budget

I think Alan Wake looks pretty damn good considering the resources. Even though it is being published by Microsoft, Remedy funded the game themselves for a while. Can you imagine if Remedy had 130 people and 30 million dollars? This game wouldn't be playable due to eye cancer caused by exposure to pure unfiltered awesomeness.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Gorgeous

I can't wait

Around the Network

I decided to post a quick Alan Wake FAQ for those interested in this game. This is my most anticipated game of this generation and I feel others should know more about it.

Why the name “Alan Wake”?
The game is about a horror writer who battles with insomnia, the stories he writes are based on his nightmares and as the story progresses his insomnia is miraculously cured, but his nightmares also return in which they slowly turn to reality. He ends up fighting to stay awake. A. Wake.. Alan Wake.

What is the story about?
Alan Wake is a bestselling horror writer. Early on in his career, his fiance Alice, was his muse. When he’d first met her, he had started to see strange dreams which he used as material for his first book. The book was a big success. It was a dream come true.

But then Wake’s fiancé vanished without a trace. Wake was devastated. After that, he couldn’t write anymore. His dreams stopped and he began to suffer from insomnia.

At the beginning of the game, Wake travels to a sleep clinic to seek treatment for his condition. The secluded clinic is located near the small town of Bright Falls, Washington, far away from the stressful urban lifestyle. Receiving treatment at the clinic, Wake is able to sleep again. At the clinic, he meets a mysterious woman who is the very image of his missing fiancé, uncannily so. At once, his dreams return, this time as terrible nightmares. Wake begins to write again: a new book based on those nightmares.

But something is horribly, horribly wrong.

Impossibly, the town of Bright Falls starts to change to something awful that bears a close resemblance to Wake’s new book. Wake ends up fighting for his life with a gun and a flashlight in his hands, trying to understand what’s happening.

How is the game structured?
The story of Alan Wake is made up like a continuing season of a TV series, consisting episodes where the story unfolds as the player completes missions. Some of the episodes end up in a classic cliffhanger, while others are calmer, concentrating on character development and Alan’s past. Although you can play the game in one-episode portions, that isn’t Remedy’s ultimate goal. “We want to give the game an irresistible ‘one more episode’ atmosphere” lead designer Petri Järvilehto says.

The plot of Alan Wake is tied in episodes, but the game world isn’t. You can move freely around Bright Falls and the surrounding nature without any urgency. There is much to explore in the huge environment and by talking to the residents you might discover unexpected secrets. “However, Alan Wake isn’t a Bioware RPG” Järvilehto clarifies. “The storytelling doesn’t advance if the player wonders aimlessly around the woods.”

How does light have an effect on gameplay?
Light will weaken or hurt Wake’s enemies, and creatively taking advantage of any and all light sources within Alan Wake’s grim world ought to be one of the interesting aspects of play.

It’s not that simple however, as Alan is hypersensitive to light since he was born. “The events fall under one big shadow from the beginning: the dilemma of what is real and what is merely a nightmarish figment of Alan Wake’s imagination” says Lake.

“A setting sun doesn’t bode well for Alan Wake” says writer Lake. “During nightfall the player has to either equip himself properly or look for shelter.”

Are there any loading times?
No. Utilising multiple cores, the game will seamlessly generate vast areas of the game world for the graphics card to render.

Will there be any Alan Wake sequels?
Yes. Alan Wake is going to be part of a series. Each game is part of a “season” of a TV-series style template.
There will also be multiple endings for Alan Wake, setting the story up for future episodes.

How large is the game world?
36 square miles (10 x 10 kilometres).

How many DVD’s will the final game be on?
Alan Wake will fit on a single DVD.

Is the 360 version going to be identical in graphics to the PC version?
In the current plans the PC and 360 versions will be pretty identical.

How far is the draw distance in the game world?
Currently around 2 kilometres (1.2 - 1.3 miles).

What engine is Alan Wake using?
It’s an in-house engine developed by Remedy, known as the Alan Wake Engine and incorporates the Havok physics component. The game is being designed with five threads: rendering, audio, streaming, physics and terrain tessellation. One core processor can be dedicated to physical calculations.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

jetrii said:

Alan Wake:
31 employee staff
3+ years of active development
9+ million dollar budget

Killzone 2
130 employee staff
5 years of active development
30-60 million dollar budget

I think Alan Wake looks pretty damn good considering the resources. Even though it is being published by Microsoft, Remedy funded the game themselves for a while. Can you imagine if Remedy had 130 people and 30 million dollars? This game wouldn't be playable due to eye cancer caused by exposure to pure unfiltered awesomeness.

Oh man I never even thought of it that way. Damn I wish Microsoft would fund all their operations. Nice Q&A too.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

This is probably my most wanted game ATM behind the new Splinter Cell - I hope it makes it out before Christmas. I do however think that the sales predictions in the OP are overly optimistic. I feel like this game will probably be pretty niche, and I think around Bioshock level is probably the upper limit of its sales potential.

OMG! It's pretty! But no one knows WTF it is! But... pretty! And HYPE! Hype must begin NOW! Alan Wake must be the new KZ2! Let's talk about it as if we've played it and have a ****ing clue!

Easily my most awaiting 360 game after Resident Evil 5. Gorgeous as well. Just create a great atmosphere. Can't say many other games do that.