By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is MGS4 the most decorated game ever?

MGS4 missed out on several GotY awards including the one from what is currently the most prominent western reviewer - IGN.

Just from this generation I think that Super Mario Galaxy has had more universal praise and decoration.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Acevil said:
No? Super Mario Galaxy had a lot more, but no one bothered recording them like they did on that wiki page. Most game of the years (from previous years) have more than MGS4.

Proof? or it never happend

MGS4 >>>>>>>>> SMG

Eh....I'm say they were tied, or I'd give SMG the edge. I think a lot of the MGS4 hype is due to the narrative, and not the gameplay.

Anyway, yes, MGS4 is good, great even. It's certainly over-rated by most PS3 fans though. MGS3 and 1 were also great, but those games certainly weren't touted like the FF series was, on the other two consoles. Thinking MGS4 is better than MGS1 is a mockery of gaming.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

It's hard to say, with an industry as young as this one, that grows markedly from one generation to the next. Really, how many awards were being given out when Super Mario Bros was created? How many would Mario 64 or Final FantasyVII have earned?

In the end MGS4 has earned a right to be a "hall of fame" level game. Few dispute that. Anything else, though, expect a fight, and expect it to get bloody.

Here are the GOTY that Wiki listed for SMG: IGN, GameSpot, Nintendo Power, GameTrailers, Edge and Yahoo! Games.

Former something....

MGS4 is the most decorated game since SMB

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

of course it is! its a work of art!

No, Ocarina of Time. But it's a close second.

It's too early to grant it such distinction. Time is the true test. Games like Ocarina, SMB3, SM64 etc are timeless classics that are every bit as playable today as they were when they were first released. How well a game ages is an important consideration.

Starcraft, Warcraft 2, WoW, Diablo 1 & 2

How can it be the most decorated game ever if it's currently tied for third with Little Big Planet for GOTYs? Fallout 3 and GTA IV both have more so wouldn't they be more accurately described as the most decorated? Don't go by the Wiki pages. MGS4's is obviously being better taken care of than the other games are, but that is because those pages have lots of missing data. Plus MGS4's page isn't entirely accurate. It's Wiki after all and someone wrote in that MGS4 won Joystiq when it links to MGS4 in the #2 spot behind Fable II.

Also in recent years there have been games that have swept awards. Resident Evil 4 comes to mind. Wasn't Gears of War given a shitload also? Half-Life 2? Wasn't GTA III like a practically unanimous decision in 2001?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.