By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD fires 9% of staff

Someone needs to give this recession a piss-off tablet.

Around the Network

If they want consumers back, maybe its about time to offer prodcuts that can match or perhaps even best Intel. ATi cards used to be amazing, not only for its price (which was considerably lower than Nvidia) but alltogether!
Their proccessors are horrible imo, they can't stand overclocking and need tons of cooling for less performance.
I really don't know which graphics card to get this year, any suggestions, anyone?

Mummelmann said:
If they want consumers back, maybe its about time to offer prodcuts that can match or perhaps even best Intel. ATi cards used to be amazing, not only for its price (which was considerably lower than Nvidia) but alltogether!
Their proccessors are horrible imo, they can't stand overclocking and need tons of cooling for less performance.
I really don't know which graphics card to get this year, any suggestions, anyone?

Um, ATI had the lead up until about two weeks ago. Even then, their top card still competes at the ultra-high-end.

Their new processors are much better at overclocking (3.8GHz is normal on air, and over 6GHz on liquid nitogen.) and are much more power efficient now - they are competitive with Intel on price, performance and power especially when you consider the whole platfrom (CPU+MB) because their MB chipsets are much cheaper, faster with regards to IGPs, and cooler. Okay, so they aren't competing in the high-end but it's a toss-up where they do compete.

--

As for a new graphics card, what price range and when do you want it? For recent games on a moderate resolution, I would recommend the HD4830 and HD4850, neither of which Nvidia really competes with. If you're prepared to wait until the middle of this year (say April/May), AMD and possibley Nvidia are doing a 40nm die shrink which should be a solid 25-50% boost in performance at the same price and power consumption as they can add more stream processors.

title makes amd sound horrible, layoffs would of been a nicer term.

markers said:

I wasn't aware that there was a distinction. Is layoffs a euphemism or is there an actual difference?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
markers said:

I wasn't aware that there was a distinction. Is layoffs a euphemism or is there an actual difference?

i guess maybe its just me, but i think the word laidoff sounds nicer than being fired.

edit: i have done the unthinkable!!!!! i have climbed the mountain, reached the top, i have become immortal!!! that was my 1,000th post

Soleron said:
Well, Phenom II is competitive on price and performance with the Core 2s - the 940 is a better choice than the Q9400 and the 920 over the Q8300.

The launch of Socket AM3 stuff should boost that, because they're bumping the clock speed to 3.1GHz, adding DDR3 memory and raising the northbridge/HT clock. That should make it rival the Q9550.

Basically they need to survive until Bulldozer in 2011. I don't see how deneb will be competitive all of that time, what with mainstream Nehalem in Q3, 32nm Nehalem "Westmere" in Q4 and Sandy Bridge in 2010.

Rumors say AMD is having issues with DDR3 and might be delaying AM3.

And Sandy Bridge isnt what AMD has to worry.. its the one after that.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I'm considering an HD 4870 1GB, but I'm still on Win Xp, which only allows 4 gigs of total memory unless I'm mistaken, which means I'll only have "room" for 3GB or RAM. But that should suffice for a while I think.
Don't the 48 series cards use a lot of power though? I'll probably need a new power supply (mine's 550w as I recall).

NJ5 said:
markers said:

Being fired carries an implication that the employee was terminated due to incompetence, criminal behavior or some kind of wrongdoing.

Being laid off suggests that the employee's position was eliminated, and through no fault of the employee, s/he is no longer needed by the employer.

The distinction is particularly important for the former employee, as s/he goes about looking for new work. If you get laid off, you can still put all that experience on your resume. If you're fired, you might not want to mention your last job.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Mummelmann said:
I'm considering an HD 4870 1GB, but I'm still on Win Xp, which only allows 4 gigs of total memory unless I'm mistaken, which means I'll only have "room" for 3GB or RAM. But that should suffice for a while I think.
Don't the 48 series cards use a lot of power though? I'll probably need a new power supply (mine's 550w as I recall).

550W is more than enuff, even if your PSU mite be old and uneffective. The 4870 1GB is still in the 150W ballpark just like the 1900XT  & 7800 GTX cards.

At the moment 4870 1GB is a very valuable card, specially since it just dropped in price. I chose the 4850 1GB but the the price difference is more adequate today. 4870 is on par with GTX 260 performance wise but cheaper.