By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which one will sell more: Killzone II or Halo Wars?

Hang on a sec... what RTS game has ever sold well on a console? And, a console that is very much in love with shooters. I would be surprised to see Halo Wars reach 1 mill, very!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network

If I was a betting man, I would bet that KZ2 will reach past 3 mill LTD and have super long legs. Who knows, it might even sell as well as COD4 on the PS3, as it is a very similar game. Anyone who loves shooters and even just watches KZ2 being played will fall in love with it. It's a beast!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

New Killzone 2 review www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14429522&postcount=17815

It is hard to say, but you can expect people who buy Halo Wars thinking it is a FPS and come home and see small armies getting blown to bits while trying to place a well timed counterattack.

Halo is identified with the FPS mode, nothing else. I can see the casual market returning this game because they thought it was a FPS.

Halo ODST is another story though.

I have to say KZ 2 will sell more.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Kantor said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
I'm thinking Killzone 2 on this one, I know Halo has the name but that's like saying Mario the platformer sells the same as the other Mario games like Mario Kart... some genres appeal to wider amount of people and RTS on console appeals to fewer then FPS on consoles.

How well would a Mario RTS sell?

Strange thought o.o

Oh nice mushroom kingdom vs Bowsers minion, like the basic units being Toad's and Goombas, then build up from there, and then like Warcraft you have hero units being Mario and Luigi or Bowser and Wario.

I'd buy it!

I just thought about it, and I'd rather play a Mario themed RTS with the wiimote than a Halo themed RTS with a gamepad.

Which now reminds me, why the heck hasn't SE announced some form of Final Fantasy Tactics on the Wii? the portable versions have worked reasonably well.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

The brand name is offset by the genre, no RTS has met with an incredible amount of success on console. However I expect Halo Wars to be more frontloaded and might outsell Killzone 2 initially.

Come on guys! even the craptastic Haze has sold more than half a mil, what is the best selling RTS on the 360? C&C? Gamer's don't just buy game base on franchise name, sure you might get the diehard fans and the gullible, but a great many will stay away from a genre they've never liked to begin with, be that RTS or FPS.

Killzone 2 being a shooter, should win this war if by nothing else than through attrition.

Halo Wars will probably sell more.

Why? It has the name "Halo" in it. Even people that don't care about RTS games want it because "Halo" is in the title. In America, anything with "Halo" sells. Just like "Final Fantasy" or "Dragon Quest" in Japan.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:

Why? It has the name "Halo" in it. Even people that don't care about RTS games want it because "Halo" is in the title. In America, anything with "Halo" sells. Just like "Final Fantasy" or "Dragon Quest" in Japan.

Some of the FF and DQ spinoff were not really that well receive in Japan were they? (Dirge of Cerberus and DQ Swords came to mind) I think you give too much credit to a brand name outside its area of expertise. Sometimes it might work (Dissidia) and sometimes it might not. Given that console RTS can rightfully be considered semi-niche, I think there is a good chance that Halo Wars' sale (despite its brand  name and pedigree), might not be as stellar as the 'Halo' name might imagine.

somibuokami said:
FinalEvangelion said:

Some of the FF and DQ spinoff were not really that well receive in Japan were they? (Dirge of Cerberus and DQ Swords came to mind) I think you give too much credit to a brand name outside its area of expertise. Sometimes it might work (Dissidia) and sometimes it might not. Given that console RTS can rightfully be considered semi-niche, I think there is a good chance that Halo Wars' sale (despite its brand  name and pedigree), might not be as stellar as the 'Halo' name might imagine.

DoC and DQS both did over 500k in Japan.  For what they were (absolute crap as rated by most gamers), that's quite a bit on brand name alone.  Japan has 127 mil. population while NA is around 340 mil.  You can do the math.

First week, I expect 500k WW for KZ2 (may have better legs if reception is good) and 1 mil. for Halo Wars.  The big problem is Sony never hypes their games enough to people outside the internet or fanboy community.  Microsoft knows how to hype their games so that the average person on the street will know the game.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

you people say Resistance 2 had the xmas season as though it were a good thing..

well it would have been had there werent so many amazing games released in the same week..

KZ2 will do good because its pretty much got the week to itself.. nothing major..

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41