By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Yahoo to masses: Don't buy a PS3 til April

Mummelmann said:

There's a Ford motor company in Europe and they're doing quite well... There are actually companies outside of the UK and the US, you'd be surprised to know!

Wait, there's actually a car company which is doing well these days?

* searches *

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/090114/clw083.html?.v=101

It seems their sales are down around 25% from last year in December... I wouldn't say they're doing well, they're doing bad really.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Its not that Yahoo hates sony, they are just using logic, right now Sony is in a fairly distant 3rd (further back from 2nd than the Gamecube ever was) and sales are beginning to decline.

They are just predicting it because they know that the PS3 needs it, so their is a good chance their prediction will be right, (sometimes these things become a self fullfilling prophecy)

the 360? Doing fine, but if the PS3 cuts they have the leverage to undercut them again.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Yahoo is simply quoting Pachter, that in his turn, more than being the fine analyst he wants us to believe, is simply interpreting the spoken or unspoken desires of many Playstation fans that would like to buy a PS3 but are very unwilling to pay it more than $299. I'm really curious about what will happen, media pressure on Sony is growing (journalists' awareness of Pachter's real talent not ).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

-100,000 sales over the next 4 months for PS3 as 'consumers' wait on an unconfirmed price drop.

Sony hasn't said anything. Besides haven't they earlier said that there are no plans for a price drop in the first half of '09?

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network

sony wont lose more money, more ps3 owners, more sales to games. and they can get their money back with the extra software sales.

madmonkey747 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Despite the PS3 fans objections to this, I agree. Don't even think of buying a PS3 until April. For one, 399 is overpriced and it's not worth it. For two, the chance of saving 100 US dollars is worth waiting 2 months for.

??? What do you mean $399 is overpriced, think about what your getting. Whats really overpriced is an xbox 360. Sure it starts at $200, but you'll end up spending so much on it, it becomes soo expensive.

Xbox accesories are the most overpriced things I've ever since in my entire life. Especially the wifi adapter. $100 just for a wifi adapter?!? Its just crazy. If Sony made a stripped down basic version of the ps3, like the arcade, it would be extremely cheap, and attract a lot of people looking for blu ray.

It would be cool if Sony put a 64gb SSD instead of an 80gb hard drive, just my opinion. I took out the hard drive and put in an 32gb SSD which cost me $80. I noticed performance increases in various places.

This is SO wrong.

The 360 can get expensive but it is not.

I have mine for a year and i still find it amazing even without Xbox Live, and guess how much it cost me... 200 Euros.

deathgod33 said:
sony wont lose more money, more ps3 owners, more sales to games. and they can get their money back with the extra software sales.

Lets look at the numbers

Initial Price

New Price

manufacturing cost

New Sales Rate

Loss per new system

$500.00

$450.00

$400.00

Initial Price

New Price

manufacturing cost

New Sales Rate

Loss per new system

$300.00

$250.00

$200.00

Initial Price

New Price

manufacturing cost

New Sales Rate

Loss per new system

$250.00

$200.00

$150.00

Initial Price

New Price

manufacturing cost

New Sales Rate

Loss per new system

$150.00

$100.00

$50.00

Now, from my perspective the only way Sony could break even or profit from a price reduction is if the total loss per new system was less than $100 ... Which means if Sony can get a 50% boost in sales off of a $50 price reduction and the system costs less than $350 to manufacture it would make sense for them to reduce the price of the system.

madmonkey747 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Despite the PS3 fans objections to this, I agree. Don't even think of buying a PS3 until April. For one, 399 is overpriced and it's not worth it. For two, the chance of saving 100 US dollars is worth waiting 2 months for.

??? What do you mean $399 is overpriced, think about what your getting. Whats really overpriced is an xbox 360. Sure it starts at $200, but you'll end up spending so much on it, it becomes soo expensive.

Xbox accesories are the most overpriced things I've ever since in my entire life. Especially the wifi adapter. $100 just for a wifi adapter?!? Its just crazy. If Sony made a stripped down basic version of the ps3, like the arcade, it would be extremely cheap, and attract a lot of people looking for blu ray.

It would be cool if Sony put a 64gb SSD instead of an 80gb hard drive, just my opinion. I took out the hard drive and put in an 32gb SSD which cost me $80. I noticed performance increases in various places.

I paid $35.99 for an orginal XBOX wireless adapter today and it works great with my 360 and plays nice with my 20gb PS3. What's the deal with folks paying retail on junk?!

I won't buy PS3 till..... I can get it from poundland :)