By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My Bloody Valentine 3-D

lol akuma I actually just bought a My Bloody Valentine (the band) LP last night too.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Around the Network
Moongoddess256 said:
lol akuma I actually just bought a My Bloody Valentine (the band) LP last night too.

That's pretty funny.  Did you buy it because of the movie or were you a fan already?  Have you listened to Loveless?  I'm not a huge My Bloody Valentine fan, but they are phenomenally talented.  Pretty revolutionary stuff when they hit the scene.

So did they give you guys 3D glasses at the movie or what?  3D is apparently back, I've seen several movies listed in the paper that were in 3D (like Bolt).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Moongoddess256 said:

That's pretty funny. Did you buy it because of the movie or were you a fan already? Have you listened to Loveless? I'm not a huge My Bloody Valentine fan, but they are phenomenally talented. Pretty revolutionary stuff when they hit the scene.

So did they give you guys 3D glasses at the movie or what? 3D is apparently back, I've seen several movies listed in the paper that were in 3D (like Bolt).

I go to the local record store once or twice a week to check to see if they have anything new in. Now "My bloody valentine" both the band and movie have been popping up like crazy in my life lately so when I come across the 180g copy of loveless at the record store I pretty much had to buy it. And yeah I already liked the band.

and yes they give you 3d glasses. They are just kinda tinted rather than red and blue, and you dump them into a recycle box after you are done with the movie.

Moongoddess256 said:
akuma587 said:
Moongoddess256 said:

That's pretty funny. Did you buy it because of the movie or were you a fan already? Have you listened to Loveless? I'm not a huge My Bloody Valentine fan, but they are phenomenally talented. Pretty revolutionary stuff when they hit the scene.

So did they give you guys 3D glasses at the movie or what? 3D is apparently back, I've seen several movies listed in the paper that were in 3D (like Bolt).

I go to the local record store once or twice a week to check to see if they have anything new in. Now "My bloody valentine" both the band and movie have been popping up like crazy in my life lately so when I come across the 180g copy of loveless at the record store I pretty much had to buy it. And yeah I already liked the band.

and yes they give you 3d glasses. They are just kinda tinted rather than red and blue, and you dump them into a recycle box after you are done with the movie.

Its pretty funny actually, I buy a moderate amount of LP's but I never listen to them.  I hang them up on my wall as art.  That may or may not make me a poser.  At least they look fairly good and go with the rest of my apartment.  Regardless, you get extra cool points for liking My Bloody Valentine.  I can't think of anyone I know who listens to them that I don't get along with.

So has 3D gotten better than it was?  Is it fairly gimmicky or was it pretty good?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Nah I've seen plenty of people just hang em up on their walls. Due to the fact that I pretty much Download everything I listen to so I can sift through the good and the bad, I find CDs pretty useless. Might as well buy the collectible vinyls with the full size artwork and possible freebies on the inside. And its fun sitting around with friends listening to them on my turntable - the whole ritual makes sitting around listening to music more fun in a way. You get all the goodies on the inside to pass around to your friends and stuff. And yeah people who listen to My Bloody Valentine tend to be pretty cool :D

Also that Frances the Mute LP must have cost you a small fortune... I've noticed that all of the Mars Volta LPs sell for incredibly high prices for some odd reason.

As for the 3d - Its improved greatly but its got a ways to go. If you got the option to see a movie in 3d and the movie looks interesting, go for it. I plan on seeing Coraline when it comes out too.

Around the Network

I actually got that Mars Volta LP as a gift. What you said is pretty much the reason why I don't use LP's much, because digital is just so much more convenient. Vinyl does have a strange quality of bringing people together. And vinyls certainly are beautiful, both the covers and all the stuff that comes inside of them.

I've noticed that regular drug users are usually obsessed with vinyls, and I have never really been able to explain why...

Drugs make music more awesome.

People really into music use the drugs to further their enjoyment... People who use drugs get into music to further their enjoyment :)

Vinyls are just sort of where you end up when you want to take your music snobbery to the highest level. Extra hipster cred.

Very true. And drugs do make music more awesome. Too bad I have sold my soul to law school and I barely have time to associate with anyone, let alone have time to do drugs.

I'm cheap as hell when it comes to music. I'll pay to see a band in concert, but you will rarely see me buy music. I would be dead broke if I did.

Most of my non essential expenditures go to music. I buy a game once in a while, but usually I just borrow them from friends. And unlike most chicks, I don't buy much for clothes. I only buy clothes when I need something specific for an event of some sort or when I see something really cool (like today I bought a shirt with these happy tools on it... I got such a good laugh when I saw it - its a little odd seeing a saw blade with a happy rosy-cheeked face.)

As for law school, yeah ouch. Towards the end of high school I was thinking I would love that. Then I thought about it and I realized there was no way in hell I could handle 8 years of additional school with such a heavy workload.

Moongoddess256 said:
Most of my non essential expenditures go to music. I buy a game once in a while, but usually I just borrow them from friends. And unlike most chicks, I don't buy much for clothes. I only buy clothes when I need something specific for an event of some sort or when I see something really cool (like today I bought a shirt with these happy tools on it... I got such a good laugh when I saw it - its a little odd seeing a saw blade with a happy rosy-cheeked face.)

As for law school, yeah ouch. Towards the end of high school I was thinking I would love that. Then I thought about it and I realized there was no way in hell I could handle 8 years of additional school with such a heavy workload.

I mean its interesting stuff and I certainly feel like I am getting my money's worth (which I guess doesn't mean much, since they are paying for it, I guess I mean my "time's worth").  The only downside is its even worse than a full-time job.

I more or less knew what I was getting myself into, so whatever.  There are very few jobs that pay well that don't require you to work your ass off.  Even when I start making a good salary I still won't spend money on music.  Its ingrained in my DNA by this point.  I just can't bring myself to do it unless it is an obscure CD by an independent or struggling band.