By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Yes. I went from conservatism, to liberalism, to shut-the-f-up-ism.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Steven's definitely right about both sides of the argument, that most people prefer to just talk than rather actually do anything to help people. Most people are full of crap, regardless of what they believe in.

This is why I am happy that there actually are a few pro-life people out there (including Rick Warren) who have figured out that actually doing things that show you care about life are more important than saying you care about life.

I feel the same way steven does. I have done plenty of volunteer work for the last three years and even ran a volunteer organization (unfortunately I don't have the time anymore...law school consumes your soul...).

But one of the reasons I am liberal is because I don't think it is my job to go around policing what people do. When there are reasonable grounds for disagreeing about an issue, I think people should be free to do whatever they want as long as that choice isn't directly harmful to society.

It's perfectly fine with me that some people think abortion is the worst thing on earth. Don't have an abortion, that's fine with me. But I want to know who gave them the right to tell everyone else what to do. There are reasonable grounds for disagreeing on whether or not abortion should be allowed, so why should the government step in and control people's decisions. I take the same attitude with outlawing certain drugs. The government isn't our parent (listen to me, I sound like a conservative!). Why should they be going around telling us what to do?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I'm pro-life.  If you think one may have slipped by you have just shy of 16 days before gastrulation occurs to deal with it.  The pregnacy can be stopped within the first 5 days with the "morning after pill"  (the earlier taken the higher effectivness rate 3 days around 90%, 5 days around 80%)  In my province anyone can walk into a hospital, clinic, sexual health centre, school nurse office, health authority office, etc and recieve the medication for free: or go to the pharmacy and pay for it.

I believe gastrulation is when the embryo becomes a human.  You can impregnate most mammals with a embryo from a mammal of another species, and it will implant itself and grow up until the point of gastrulation (I use the term most because as far as I know it has only been tried with cows, pigs, rats, monkeys, rabbits, horses, and whales).

"the court confirmed that a fetus is not a person until it is born and fully outside the woman's body."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Canada

It sickens me that in my country it is technically legal to kill the fetus even after labour has begun.  (I highly doubt anyone would do it but it still sickens me).

Skip, google Dr. Garson Romalis.

skip said:

I'm pro-life.  If you think one may have slipped by you have just shy of 16 days before gastrulation occurs to deal with it.  The pregnacy can be stopped within the first 5 days with the "morning after pill"  (the earlier taken the higher effectivness rate 3 days around 90%, 5 days around 80%)  In my province anyone can walk into a hospital, clinic, sexual health centre, school nurse office, health authority office, etc and recieve the medication for free: or go to the pharmacy and pay for it.

I believe gastrulation is when the embryo becomes a human.  You can impregnate most mammals with a embryo from a mammal of another species, and it will implant itself and grow up until the point of gastrulation (I use the term most because as far as I know it has only been tried with cows, pigs, rats, monkeys, rabbits, horses, and whales).

"the court confirmed that a fetus is not a person until it is born and fully outside the woman's body."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Canada

It sickens me that in my country it is technically legal to kill the fetus even after labour has begun.  (I highly doubt anyone would do it but it still sickens me).

Here in America we do everything in our power to stop people from getting emergency contraception.  That is the American way!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

That may be true in Texas Akuma, but in FL EC is (not free) but as easy to get otherwise.

Though they do require an ID. So (minor) girls with out ID can't get it - in other words they have to tell their parents... Of course they don't say this is the reason, they say it's because they don't want people pharmacy hopping.

Yeah, those little girls will just be getting all drugged up on those morning after pills and start breaking into people's houses and stealing TV's.

Pro choice, but I do feel that abortion is often taken a bit too lightly.

pro-life

consoles i own ps12 gba ds gc wii

Good points, Steven.

I do think a lot of pro-lifers have gotten it wrong with the abortion issue. Many just want to black-and-white ban abortion. Abortion is a symptom of the problem, and not the cause of it.

Abortion is a simple answer to unwanted children. Pro-lifers (some, if not most) don't see that as being the crux of the issue. If you ban abortion, then you give the general populace an extra 50,000,000 children in America that will most likely have hard lives, and be neglected. That's not being pro-life. That's being pro-I-really-don't-care-but-wanna-appear-to. It's a very sickening thought that there *are* a lot of pro-lifers that'd rather mandate something, than involve themselves with the process.

Here's a picture that sums up my fusterations with the issue:

It would be far better for pro lifers to target the faulty (and deplorable) adoption laws in America, and work to change them. If adoptions are made easier, and more viable for loving families, then the culture surrounding abortions would change, and we would (likely) see a significant drop in them, since the argument would change that abortion isn't a very good alternative to giving the child up.

And it is very upsetting that most pro-lifers won't consider adoption as an alternative to having their own kids. As I said at the onset of my 1st post, that's why my family will consist of every race of child, every socio-economic background, every age - as long as I can do it under the good graces of love, finances, and the time in order to raise said adopted kids.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.