By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Bioshock on Steam

your mother said:
Just_Ben said:
The best part of steam is for me, that there is no "copy right protection" that screws up my PC or tells me to uninstall 80% of my software! All you need is a connection to the net. Even if you buy the box, the cd is not needed after installation, no switching disks.

I personally love that about Steam.

?

Steam IS the copyright protection mechanism! Sure it doesn't screw up your PC anything like StarForce, for instance, but try playing Half-Life2 without it.

Yeah it is, but it is just not anoying (to me)  ;)

Around the Network
Just_Ben said:
your mother said:
Just_Ben said:
The best part of steam is for me, that there is no "copy right protection" that screws up my PC or tells me to uninstall 80% of my software! All you need is a connection to the net. Even if you buy the box, the cd is not needed after installation, no switching disks.

I personally love that about Steam.

?

Steam IS the copyright protection mechanism! Sure it doesn't screw up your PC anything like StarForce, for instance, but try playing Half-Life2 without it.

Yeah it is, but it is just not anoying (to me) ;)

Not disagreeing with you on the impressiveness of the service, but on your statement that there is no copyright protection involved with Steam.

thx! very good news for me!

Call me old school, but I will always prefer actually having the box and cd and material and stuff.

I am glad Steam is killing the pay for online on PC nonsense that is Live though...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

My only problem with the Steam download is that you are essentially waiting until like 3PM to play a game that will be in stores at 8AM. If they are going to offer this download at least activate it at midnight or something!

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

That's a negative...but I don't care...I suppose I'd like to play it from midnight to 3 am or so...but I have to work during the day, so 2 pm is plenty early enough for me to come home from work, and then start the gaming all night...

If you buy the physical DVDs, will Steam allow you to play without discs? I forget...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
That's a negative...but I don't care...I suppose I'd like to play it from midnight to 3 am or so...but I have to work during the day, so 2 pm is plenty early enough for me to come home from work, and then start the gaming all night...

If you buy the physical DVDs, will Steam allow you to play without discs? I forget...

I am pretty sure you can activate the game through steam even if you buy the retail copy. I seem to remember an activation option in one of the menus.

Oh, you can play tons of games through Steam...but you often still need to use the CD or DVD because it's not able to be downloadable through Steam...

I'm sure you can choose Bioshock off the Steam list if you bought it retail...but do you need to use the DVD still?

I dunno if I've got my facts straight, I'm not a Steam expert or anything...all my games on Steam are games I've bought through the Steam Store...such as Valve games, Call of Duty, Deus Ex, Geometry Wars, etc...
Although I did buy Day of Defeat: Source and Half Life 2 in a store...but that's made for Steam as well...

I remember I lost Disc 1 of Half Life 2 a long time ago...that's why I like Steam...who needs discs anymore?  I can just download the whole game if I get a new PC.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:

Oh, you can play tons of games through Steam...but you often still need to use the CD or DVD because it's not able to be downloadable through Steam...

I'm sure you can choose Bioshock off the Steam list if you bought it retail...but do you need to use the DVD still?

I dunno if I've got my facts straight, I'm not a Steam expert or anything...all my games on Steam are games I've bought through the Steam Store...such as Valve games, Call of Duty, Deus Ex, Geometry Wars, etc...
Although I did buy Day of Defeat: Source and Half Life 2 in a store...but that's made for Steam as well...

I remember I lost Disc 1 of Half Life 2 a long time ago...that's why I like Steam...who needs discs anymore? I can just download the whole game if I get a new PC.

Look up the list 2 options =)

I believe you are thinking of the "Add a non-steam game to MyGames List". But 2 above that is "Activate a product on steam".

When you click on that it tells you....

"To subscribe your game with Steam, enter the product code distributed with a reail CD/DVD or other steam product key here. Click 'Next' to continue."