By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Kwaad said: stof said: I don't give a damn if the Res is in the millions. If they don't get theatre movies running at faster than 24 frames a second, It'll still look like crap! That's an PAL movie format. NTSC runs at 29.97 I'm quite sure it would run at over 30fps. It is DLP. Also, the movie I watched. I'm quite sure it ran at over 24fps. (I can see slight chopping at 24)
Whatever North American Screens run at, it's choppy and hurts my eyes just about any time it has to pan (or do those static shots of the sky with fast moving clouds). I find the slow framerate of theatres really detracts from the experience, what with the head pain and all.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

stof - That was one thing I noticed about the new Digital screen. It was smoother. So like I'm trying to say. If the new digital screen is better than film... That means a 1080p TV is better than a film projector for a theater... I see TVs going up in quality in the next 5 years. But the 'media' wont go up for at least 10-20 years. The biggest problem with video on 1080p that I have noticed is 'focus' That means a blurry image. The only way you can solve that problem is getting a bigger lens. (or having brighter sets) However they are already REALLY bright... the only solution that can be chosen is increasing the size of the lens. And your talking about going from a lens being 8inches across to a lens being around 40 inches, to not be able to see blurring at 1080p. Any resolutions higher than that, need to be MUCH bigger... (the 8inch lens they use cost around 10,000$ A lens that would be around 40 inches, would cost you at least 10x)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:there is *NO* point in ANYTHING higher than that.
On a large movie screen, yes there is.
Kwaad said: a 35mm camera's image quality is about 3-4mp. Right were 1080p stands.
Not true, not to mention stupid comparing the image quality based upon mp alone. 35mm resolves a hell of allot more detail than 4mp IMHO, but then again some people claim 8mp matches 35, while others say in excess of 15mp is needed.
Kwaad said: Digital cameras have just started passing 35mm cameras in image quality.
But still very far off 75mm film. This is why the star wars prequels, shot with 1080p digital cameras, look like shit compared to the original trilogy, shot on good old 75mm celluloid.
Kwaad said: If anyone has a web server willing to host a 6meg picture. I will show you what a 10.2mp picture looks like. and why you do NOT need NEAR that..
You don't take professional photos, do you? (BTW, try flickr)

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Kwaad said:The only way you can solve that problem is getting a bigger lens. (or having brighter sets) However they are already REALLY bright... the only solution that can be chosen is increasing the size of the lens. And your talking about going from a lens being 8inches across to a lens being around 40 inches, to not be able to see blurring at 1080p. Any resolutions higher than that, need to be MUCH bigger... (the 8inch lens they use cost around 10,000$ A lens that would be around 40 inches, would cost you at least 10x)
Are you talking about consumer cameras or what you see on TV?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

As a side note I hate those damned things I had a cushy extremely easy job where all I did was set films up on the old school projectors and because of crap like this there's no work for meh ; ;

Around the Network

I am talking professional camera equipment. I was looking at a media (local news quality) HDcamera for 50,000$. Additional lenses cost around 10,000$. (camera as in video) I own a Nikon D80. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm It is 95% the camera a D200 is, which is almost as good as a D2x... And to top that you are looking at spending over 20,000$ for your body. D80 = 999.99 D200 = 1,699.99 D2x = 4,999.99 The lens I am planning on getting this summer will put me out 750$. Go read up on KenRockwell about cameras. (link above) And see how he does some stuff. A 35mm 50iso film is about 30mp. A 35mm 800iso, or higher is more like 5mp. By far the most imporant part is the lens. I can tell a BIG diffrence between a 3mp picture with a good lens... and a 10mp point and shoot crap image. The photographer is the most imporant. a 10mp camera with a crap lens... gives a crap picture. a 3mp camera with a KILLER AWOSOME lens... gives GREAT pictures. (what I mean by that is on a 4x6 picture... the 3mp good lens, takes better pictures than the 10mp crap lens) Printing a 8x10 the 10mp would have a equal picture, if you run the 3mp picture through a good image upsampler. I dont talk about consumer BS. I am looking into spending close to 3,000$ on equipment this year. a 1080p TV is ~3.5mp. I don't think the old starwars have better image quality. Can you send me a link? or something to make me think otherwise?

I was referring to Star Wars when broadcast at 1080p. 35mm in terms of megapixels is all relative with the lens/body making the biggest difference. 3mp vs 10mp is also Dependant on cameras and ccd's. A very large 3mp ccd will out due a very small 10mp sensor like what you find on many compacts. I own a D200, btw. But seriously look at flickr for image hosting - it's meant for photographers and you can find amazing pics.

sieanr said: I was referring to Star Wars when broadcast at 1080p. 35mm in terms of megapixels is all relative with the lens/body making the biggest difference. 3mp vs 10mp is also Dependant on cameras and ccd's. A very large 3mp ccd will out due a very small 10mp sensor like what you find on many compacts. I own a D200, btw. But seriously look at flickr for image hosting - it's meant for photographers and you can find amazing pics.
Damn. Nice camera. :P I'll say the lens I'm looking into buying since you would know what I mean. :P Sigma 170-500mm Sports is one of the things that I tend to do alot, and that lens can give you great shutter times, and killer zoom. (500mm on a D80 gives 750mm) Do a digital crop. You have close to 40-50x zoom. Get a 2x multiplier you can take some REALLY amazing pictures. (I've played with that setup. I just haven't got the lens yet) http://picasaweb.google.com/kwaad2/Dogs flickr blows.

i use flickr for my sd800 image hosting, and use pbase for my 350d.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

wow kwaad, u sure have a lot of expensive stuff. big tvs, ps3s, and expensive cameras (well, i kno there are people with even more expensive stuff in the forum). seems like you can just buy and buy. sigh. i earn a decent salary and i still feel too poor to buy anything.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW