By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your first RPG?

Xen said:
largedarryl said:
Xen said:
largedarryl said:
Xen said:
Munkeh111 said:
Final Fantasy X, and I still haven't played a better one!

Hear hear...

Sorry to hear you guys both missed all the good RPGs.

Example?

Chrono Trigger

Would you like more examples?

I didn't miss it, I'm playing it now on the DS. It's damn great, but not as good IMO.

Well I would imagine it seems underwhelming, its only a 15 year old game.

Final Fantasy 1 is also fantastic, as is the Ultima game I mentioned.  There were even more great PC RPG games, but this thread said they were not allowed.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Munkeh111 said:

Hear hear...

When I played FFX, I hadn't touched a JRPG 18 months or so (last was probably Grandia II). I skipped out on FFVII - FFIX since I never had a PS1.

It's hard for me to say, but... maybe that affected my opinion on the game, because it played like my first Final Fantasy. It was just damn good... I'll agree that I haven't found a (newer) RPG to top it!

edit: It should be obvious, but going back and playing the older games just isn't the same. I bet there are few who have found their favorite RPG/game by doing such a thing...

mine was FF2 on SNES. or maybe Zelda: a link to the past on SNES.. not sure i was like 5 or 6 haha

Munkeh111 said:
largedarryl said:
Xen said:
largedarryl said:
Xen said:
Munkeh111 said:

Hear hear...

Sorry to hear you guys both missed all the good RPGs.

Example?

Chrono Trigger

Would you like more examples?

Are you suggesting that if I went back and played Crono Trigger I would enjoy it more than I enjoyed FF X? Can I just point out that FF X does come in my top 5 games ever, and I spent 96 hours playing it this summer

I would imagine that you may dislike some of the older RPG games.  One of the major things that happened to RPG genre has been improvements in interface, controls, tutorials, etc. and by comparison they start to seem really dated.

I would say that my replay through of FF VI offered me far more enjoyment than the last time I played through FF X.

c0rd said:
Xen said:
Munkeh111 said:

Hear hear...

When I played FFX, I hadn't touched a JRPG 18 months or so (last was probably Grandia II). I skipped out on FFVII - FFIX since I never had a PS1.

It's hard for me to say, but... maybe that affected my opinion on the game, because it played like my first Final Fantasy. It was just damn good... I'll agree that I haven't found a (newer) RPG to top it!

Hell yes. Same here. I didn't find anything that was worthy of being its equal either. The ones to come the closest were Xenogears and FF VI.

Around the Network

Dragon Warrior also... I got it with the Nintendo Power deal. My second one was Final Fantasy.

Signature goes here!

Chrono Trigger. Nothing I've played since ever came close.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Castle Adventure

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $                         

FFX, then Fallout 3......

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Kingdom Hearts