By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your first RPG?

If King's Bounty counts. Then King's Bounty.

If it doesn't, Final Fantasy VI would be my first and still, all time favorite RPG.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

Around the Network

I think it was Pool of Radiance on c64 back in 80's.

Onyxmeth said:

Unfortunately my first RPG was Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. No joke. The marketing in my comics and the budget price at KB Toys sold me and I think it turned me off of RPGs for at least the next five years. Awful, awful game.

Wow.  I'm sorry dude.  I'm suprised that you ever picked up another RPG again.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Deneidez said:

I have very fond memories of the SSI Gold Box games.  After seeing that screenshot, I'm dying to sit down and play one right now.

And King's Bounty was another fabulous game.  I enjoyed that game more than the Heroes of Might and Magic games.

Soriku said:
Why is FF: MQ that bad? :P

Yes

Around the Network
Soriku said:
I asked why.

Oh, oh.  I read it as "Why?  Is FF:MQ that bad?".

It was an extremely dumbed down game.  I swear it was ment for 6 year olds.  Specifics I don't remember well, other than I purposefully tried to block the memory of it, and am happy that I did.

Not quite sure it was either Tombs & Treasure(NES) or Final Fantasy(NES).

Hawk said:
Deneidez said:

I have very fond memories of the SSI Gold Box games.  After seeing that screenshot, I'm dying to sit down and play one right now.

Actually I never did play through them back then (Well, I was under 10 and my motherlanguage isn't english. :D). Anyway after seeing that screenshot I think I will give them a try again after these years. Even though I didn't fully understand them back then their story was marvelous and I am dying too to test them again. :)

The first RPG i ever played was the original Final Fantasy on the NES. I wasnt into RPGs until recently though and the first one I have played since was Final Fantasy X and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (played both at the same time)

Soriku said:
I asked why.

The story was generic. It involved crystals in some towers. It never advanced past that point. Otherwise I don't think so, but I wasn't finishing that trash to find out. This came out after FF IV also, so the genre had moved past that crystal and towers mumbo jumbo. The gameplay was very generic turn based combat. The enemies never had any special elemental weaknesses. You could only have one or two extra supporting characters at a time and they would all conveniently have to leave the storyline right before another supporting character joined the ranks. The world and dungeons were dull and uninspired. The only cool feature in the game I suppose is that it had a jump button, and that was very unusual at the time.

Do not play this game.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.