By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft game announcements potentially hurting sales?

tronied said:

After the comments by a certain Microsoft executive about how they don't release any information on games until a couple of months before, surely they must realise this isn't a good business decision by doing this? The line-up for the PS3 looks like it will quite literally spank the 360 on games in 2009, but apparently not if the comments made by the executive are anything to go by (sorry, I don't know his name). Thing is, how do we know any different until they make the announcements. Looking from purely a buyers perspective, if I had to choose a console based on the games being released in the coming year it would be the PS3 all the way at the moment. I am all for annoucements for games not being made years in advance, but by cutting it too short they might be scaring away potential new buyers.

What do you think?

I don't know if anyone actually does, but no one should buy a console based on its upcoming, unknown releases. They should buy it based on current library. That's just common sense, right there.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
kopboi said:
i not being funny right but if Microsoft don't announce a killer title soon they will lose that lead that they have big time because ps3 has a better lineup this year.

Look back at last year, people said the same exact thing and they're still fine.

Whatever the case, it will all be fine.  Most consumers buy consoles based on actual games, not ones 2 years away.

im pretty sure sure one microsoft guy said ther gunna start announcing game ealier , as in when its more than a year away

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

kopboi said:
i not being funny right but if Microsoft don't announce a killer title soon they will lose that lead that they have big time because ps3 has a better lineup this year.

Announce to whom, and big game in WHOSE mind? 

I walk into a mall today, and go to Target.  On nearly all the monitors/TVs in the videogame section, they were showing the trailer for Halo Wars.  Go into Gamestop, and don't see anything regarding Killzone at all.  Before this, I saw Halo Wars at Gamestop and Best Buy.

What is the point of just announcing what games are due out, before they come out?  How many people in the world know of Killzone 2, outside of people who read these Internet forums?  And how about the likes of Halo Wars in contrast?  Which game do you think will have more awareness behind it as they head towards release: Killzone 2 or Halo Wars?

kopboi said:

wel I is not beng funy eithar an I hav colege degree an I thnk MS has muco betar gmaes then soyn ps3 this yyear.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
DirtyP2002 said:

That said you guys need to understand: PEOPLE DON'T BUY CONSOLES FOR FUTURE GAMES! Heck the Wii showing this every day for one year. The CURRENT games matter.

Of course they do. I bought mine for Valkyria Chronicles few months before it was released in west.

RIIIIIGGGTTTT... so you're saying that it's the only reason you bought a PS3... not that it's what tipped you over the edge to actually go out and spend the money.

kopboi said:

Where does this sony has better games meme originate.  I can't think of a single interesting Sony game scheduled for 09 (KZ most likely will flop like the original).  MS isn't really in that much better of a position, but they could still have some surprises.

ramses01 said:
kopboi said:

Where does this sony has better games meme originate.  I can't think of a single interesting Sony game scheduled for 09 (KZ most likely will flop like the original).  MS isn't really in that much better of a position, but they could still have some surprises.

Is this a hardened 360 fanboi making a 360 troll account

Two games I'll be looking forward to trying out in '09 are Killzone 2 and Alan Wake. But it's clear so far sony has alot more interesting games due for release in '09. Many people thought that even '08 was a better year for sony when it came to games, even Gametrailers thinks that sony had a better lineup than ms did in '08, and we all know they lurve the 360 :)

As a 360 fan, i like this year line-up, and i dont care what PS3 fanboys actually believe...

halo 3 and halo ODST aren't big games?