By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Buying an HDTV -- suggestions?

Okay, I'm currently in the market for a new HDTV. However, a projector is also a possibility. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a large HDTV vs. a projector? Pros and cons? This is currently my option of choice: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3012976&sku=T24-5702&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1430C

If you don't want to go to the link here are the basic specs on the TV:

• 57" Toshiba DLP HDTV
  • 1080p
  • 16:9 Widescreen
  • 1920x1080 resolution
  • 3 HDMI inputs
  • 2 Component inputs
  • 2 Composite inputs
  • S-Video input
  • VGA input
  • 72 pounds
  • $1,099.99

That's the best bang for the buck I've found.  Anybody have any suggestions on better ones or what I should definitely require in my TV.  So far, my only qualifiers are: 1) Big; 2) 1080p; 3) HDMI; and 4) $1,500 MAX -- NOT REFURBISHED, preferably closer to $1,000.

What do you guys think?  This TV? A different one that you know is on sale?  A projector?  Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Around the Network

If you don't mind me asking what is DLP?

If its lcd dont get it. That thing can explode if lighting hits it and overheats. A plasma would be the best choice.

mM

Thats a swell TV you got right their. Unfortanelty, the TV i was gonna suggest cost more than what you wanna pay. But that TV is seems better than what I had in mind.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

leo-j said:
If its lcd dont get it. That thing can explode if lighting hits it and overheats. A plasma would be the best choice.

He said it's a DLP. I thought plasmas were the ones that weren't good, or am I wrong?

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Around the Network

It's difficult to compare LCD, DLP, and plasma. I don't know if any one of them is going to alway be better than another. I'm open to suggestions about any of the three.

Plasma TV's cause burn in with game, LCD is geat for gameing, its what moniters for comps are.

I've heard alot of negative things about plasmas. I prefer LCD, it shows a more vibrant picture than the rest, plus it's completely flat unlike the DLP. But, I've heard good things about DLP as well, but I don't see them on the market too much longer considering they can't make them flat.

True, the DLP I'm looking at is 18" deep, so it's about as think as a regular CRT. Won't be hanging a DLP on a wall, that's for sure.

If you are buying a DLP or DLP Projector make sure there is no natural sunlight in the room. It will wash either out and tick you off... I used to have a DLP projection 42" TV. Now, I have a Plasma on the main floor where there is sunlight and a projector in the basement where there is very little natural light.

It really depends on several things choosing between the two (Projection TV, Projector)...

They are:

1) What size do you want? Anything above 72" pretty much has to be a projector although there are some DLP projection TVs higher they are rare and expensive.
2) Projector bulbs don't have the lifetime that a projection TV bulb has... So if ongoing cost is important stay away from projectors...
3) Noise... You can buy quiet projectors but they are expensive. I have a high end BenQ HD projector... Really nice, really quiet, really expensive. If fan noise annoys you stick to projection TVs.
4) Space. If you don't want to take up floor space a projector can be a good idea.
5) You will see more of the DLP grid on a projector then a projection TV.

As for models, it comes down to personal preference and what you are hooking up... Personally, I like Toshiba, Pioneer, and JVC on the TV side... On the projector side I like BenQ.

For a $1,500 you will probably not get a projector you are honestly happy with. My opinion would be to stick with a projection TV. And I don't think that you can go wrong with Toshiba. I have tried many cheap projectors but they don't display blacks really well, they are prone to action movie frame breakup, and they are really only good for computers.