By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes: Sony is Screwed...Is this article accurate?

What does this mean for Sony's gaming division and Sony as a whole?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
What does this mean for Sony as a company and Sony as a whole?

It means that they have to do something big to save cash, otherwise if the crisis goes for as long as most economists are projecting they'll go bankrupt. They could also try to sell some of their assets in order to get more cash.

Bottom line, we should see some pretty big news about Sony's restructuring sooner rather than later.

As for the gaming division specifically, no one knows yet (at least not people outside of Sony).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The numbers are accurate, but completely irrelevant.

Japanese capitalism is structured into gigantic industrial-financial networks called keiretsu. Heck, Mitsubishi Motors lost money for seven years, but stayed afloat - the MTFG keiretsu considered it was important to retain a domestic car biz.

Since Japan is, unlike the US, a net creditor in the world-system (other countries owe it money), it can bail out its electronics industry until the cows come home. It did this during the post-Bubble crash of the 1990s, and it will do it again if it has to.

Fortunately, it looks like East Asia, Russia, and the EU are all throwing money at their economies, so a global recovery should start this spring. Sony will ride out the storm with minimal damage - demand from Russian and Chinese consumers will start to compensate for the decline in US demand.

It must be nice to wave a magic wand and call billions of dollars of debt, loss and declining sales irrelevant.

NJ5, thanks for the response. Also excellent job on the thread you made the other day, about Sony and how you may be wrong. Great read.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
SlorgNet said:

Japanese capitalism is structured into gigantic industrial-financial networks called keiretsu. Heck, Mitsubishi Motors lost money for seven years, but stayed afloat - the MTFG keiretsu considered it was important to retain a domestic car biz.

Since Japan is, unlike the US, a net creditor in the world-system (other countries owe it money), it can bail out its electronics industry until the cows come home. It did this during the post-Bubble crash of the 1990s, and it will do it again if it has to.

Fortunately, it looks like East Asia, Russia, and the EU are all throwing money at their economies, so a global recovery should start this spring. Sony will ride out the storm with minimal damage - demand from Russian and Chinese consumers will start to compensate for the decline in US demand.

Interesting, I had never heard of this Keiretsu name. However according to wikipedia Sony is not in that system. Is this wrong?

@Arius Dion: Good to know :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

FishyJoe said:
It must be nice to wave a magic wand and call billions of dollars of debt, loss and declining sales irrelevant.

Is it that amazing to imagine them being bailed out (Sony)? Its happening all over the world now, even here in Norway there was an emergency package set at around 80 billion dollars worth to save certain industries and I'm sure you have caught wind of the domestic packages in your own country as well. Big valuable companies will often get help in situations like these, in a worst case scenario there could be a merger or partnership with another player (Sanyo, Toshiba, Pioneer or perhaps even LG). GM, Ford and Chrysler seem to be holding fast through the shitstorm and they were in a lot deeper waters than this, so I see no reason why Sony won't pull through somehow no matter how badly many want to see them sink.

NJ5 said:
SlorgNet said:

Interesting, I had never heard of this Keiretsu name. However according to wikipedia Sony is not in that system. Is this wrong?

It looks like Sony would have to sacrifice control of their company to be a member of Keiretsu.  So the numbers are relevant, Keiretsu is irrelevant.

I see no reason why Sony won't pull through somehow no matter how badly many want to see them sink.

Sony will come out of it, of course, but they will likely lose a lot of assets in the process.

Mummelmann said:
FishyJoe said:

Is it that amazing to imagine them being bailed out (Sony)? Its happening all over the world now, even here in Norway there was an emergency package set at around 80 billion dollars worth to save certain industries and I'm sure you have caught wind of the domestic packages in your own country as well. Big valuable companies will often get help in situations like these, in a worst case scenario there could be a merger or partnership with another player (Sanyo, Toshiba, Pioneer or perhaps even LG). GM, Ford and Chrysler seem to be holding fast through the shitstorm and they were in a lot deeper waters than this, so I see no reason why Sony won't pull through somehow no matter how badly many want to see them sink.

That's not what I'm saying. There is a lot of meat to cut in the company before any talk of bailouts can even exist. They will have to be in very dire straits to be begging for money from the government. I don't think you want to aspire to be in the auto companies shoes. Or any bailed out company for that matter.

Just because you can get a bailout does not mean that all the negative financial data is irrelevant.

TheBigFatJ said:
NJ5 said:
SlorgNet said:

It looks like Sony would have to sacrifice control of their company to be a member of Keiretsu.  So the numbers are relevant, Keiretsu is irrelevant.

I see no reason why Sony won't pull through somehow no matter how badly many want to see them sink.

Sony will come out of it, of course, but they will likely lose a lot of assets in the process.

This is very true, I hope no one thinks otherwise.