By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Discussion: Terrorism, Israel, Hamas, etc

By BRADLEY S. KLAPPER, Associated Press Writer
GENEVA – The international Red Cross said Tuesday that Israel has fired white phosphorus shells in its offensive in the Gaza Strip, but has no evidence to suggest the incendiary agent is being used improperly or illegally.

The comments came after a human rights organization accused the Jewish state of using white phosphorus, hich ignites when it strikes the skin and burns straight through or until it is cut off from oxygen. It can cause horrific injuries.

The International Committee of the Red Cross urged Israel to exercise "extreme caution" in using the incendiary agent, which is used to illuminate targets at night or create a smoke screen for day attacks, said Peter Herby, the head of the organization's mines-arms unit.

"In some of the strikes in Gaza it's pretty clear that phosphorus was used," Herby told The Associated Press. "But it's not very unusual to use phosphorus to create smoke or illuminate a target. We have no evidence to suggest it's being used in any other way."

In response, the Israeli military said Tuesday that it "wishes to reiterate that it uses weapons in compliance with international law, while strictly observing that they be used in accordance with the type of combat and its characteristics."

Herby said that using phosphorus to illuminate a target or create smoke is legitimate under international law, and that there was no evidence the Jewish state was intentionally using phosphorus in a questionable way, such as burning down buildings or consciously putting civilians at risk

However, Herby said evidence is still limited because of the difficulties of gaining access to Gaza, where Palestinian health officials say more than 900 people have been killed and 4,250 wounded since Israel launched its offensive late last month. Israel says the operation aims to halt years of Palestinian rocket attacks over the border.

Human Rights Watch has accused Israel of firing phosphorous shells and warned of the possibilities of extreme fire and civilian injuries. The chemical is suspected in the cases of 10 burn victims who had skin peeling off their faces and bodies.

White phosphorus is not considered a chemical weapon.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

Recent update here. Small success and another slew of ridiculous actions from Israel, a third of the dead are children? Shelling the UN HQ? Shelling Hospitals? Turning back ships with medical aid away from Gaza? Really? Here's the wriet up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7831870.stm

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Oh this just keeps getting better and better. Some of the shells fired at the UN supposedly contained phosphorus:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7831424.stm

Also, why is it that Israel is not allowing reporters in Gaza? Afraid they'll end up confirming the allegations?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

yep, see all these news stories of obvious blatant things Israel does that is just wrong. Keep in mind, these are the things that we hear about. We don't hear about the numerous other items of abuse and "terrorism" on the populace during the 'peaceful' times or currently in WB.

Sure some of you insist that it just doesn't happen, pffft. Yeah and Israel doesn't target civilians.

glad to see this topic is going strong and there hasnt been any flare-ups of any kind.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

isnt it illegal to attack the UN?

Comrade Tovya said:
^^^ Jackson, honestly, God love you, but please stop nitpicking every word I write... It's very annoying. I've been respecting you equally, and have not been picking apart everything you write (and yes, sometimes it's very hard). But I've given you the basic respect of not criticizing every little word you write. I've been sticking to your main points. If you want me to start again, I'm game, I promise you...

Anyway, you know good and well what I meant.. more Arabs voted for Chamas than Fateh (not that it makes that big of a difference, because Fateh is nearly as bad as Chamas).

The point I have been trying to make is this:

Chamas ran on the platform of the annihilation of Israel, and the Palestinians liked this platform and voted them into power. Hence, the talk that Chamas doesn't represent the will of the people (which many posters in this forum imply) simply isn't true.

The assertion that although Chamas wants war, the Palestinian majority do not is simply not founded... the election of Chamas and independent polls show that this is simply illogical.

Divert attention from your mistake if you desire, but it was incorrect to say a majority of Palestinians voted for Hamas...correct?

Also, it is specious to say the Palestinians voted for Hamas because Hamas' platform advocated severing ties with Israel. Hamas won the election because of two main reasons: they are seen as honest and opposed to corruption, and they also provide an extensive social network that is vital to the vitality of many Palestinians. Fatah could have prevented a Hamas victory if they opposed corruption and provided basic services like Hamas does. Hamas' commendable social work is a stark contrast to their unfortunate and contemptible advocacy of the destruction of Israel.

Jackson50 said:
Comrade Tovya said:
^^^ Jackson, honestly, God love you, but please stop nitpicking every word I write... It's very annoying. I've been respecting you equally, and have not been picking apart everything you write (and yes, sometimes it's very hard). But I've given you the basic respect of not criticizing every little word you write. I've been sticking to your main points. If you want me to start again, I'm game, I promise you...

Anyway, you know good and well what I meant.. more Arabs voted for Chamas than Fateh (not that it makes that big of a difference, because Fateh is nearly as bad as Chamas).

The point I have been trying to make is this:

Chamas ran on the platform of the annihilation of Israel, and the Palestinians liked this platform and voted them into power. Hence, the talk that Chamas doesn't represent the will of the people (which many posters in this forum imply) simply isn't true.

The assertion that although Chamas wants war, the Palestinian majority do not is simply not founded... the election of Chamas and independent polls show that this is simply illogical.

Divert attention from your mistake if you desire, but it was incorrect to say a majority of Palestinians voted for Hamas...correct?

Also, it is specious to say the Palestinians voted for Hamas because Hamas' platform advocated severing ties with Israel. Hamas won the election because of two main reasons: they are seen as honest and opposed to corruption, and they also provide an extensive social network that is vital to the vitality of many Palestinians. Fatah could have prevented a Hamas victory if they opposed corruption and provided basic services like Hamas does. Hamas' commendable social work is a stark contrast to their unfortunate and contemptible advocacy of the destruction of Israel.

I've tried to argue that too, Problem is all anyone knows here is that Hamas is a Terrorist, blah blah. Sure they have a very questionable military wing, however, people voted for them primarily due to what is bolded.

PS360ForTheWin said:

yes

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
PS360ForTheWin said:

yes

ok then under international law, shouldnt Israel be punished? (e.g. with sanctions or war crimes charges)