By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Informer gives BioShock 10/10 and 10/10

MASTERPIECE OF MADNESS

Bottom Line: 10

"It’s ingenious, enthralling, and a masterpiece of the most epic proportions."

Second Opinion: 10

"In terms of delivering chilling atmosphere, dynamic combat, and startling revelations, games just don’t come any better than BioShock."

---

Edit: Eurogamer 10/10

"...all that remains is to insist that anyone with a PC or a 360 goes out and buys this wonderful game on the 24th of August, and send a message to the entire games industry that this is the kind of game that people want. BioShock not only lives up to its lofty promise, but exceeds it through simple, old fashioned talent and imagination - not to mention verve, style,class, wit, and sheer bloody-minded ambition. It takes the tired, worn-out FPS genre by the scruff of the neck and reinvents it in such a breathtaking fashion that it's going to take something very special to top this in the months ahead. For a game to be so outstanding in one department is one thing - to manage to tick every single box from graphics to audio to gameplay depth to atmosphere and innovation is pretty much unprecedented. Seriously - if you don't find something to love about BioShock, we'd recommenced a trip to the nearest doctor to check if your heart's still beating."

---

Reviews so far

That is 24 reviews with an average score of 97.3.

[I haven't seen these, but according to Legend11: three 10/10s from EGM, 10/10 OXM Australia, 10/10 X360 Gamer, 94/100 Alemania Xbox Live]

---

Wow. I knew it would be great just because the story sounds so amazing but I thought BioShock would fall just behind the other big 2007 games (Mass Effect, Halo 3, Mario Galaxy) for GOTY, but after playing the demo and seeing these reviews, I think this game is the early frontrunner.

The question now is how far up the all-time game score rankings it will climb.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

I had no doubt this was a AAA title.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

goty imho

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

heck yes, i knew it would be a AAA title as soon as i watched gameplay and learned of the storyline, man THIS GAME RULES

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

The game is getting the amazing reviews I expected out of it. I certainly think this is an easy contender for GotY. There are so many contenders this year though it's tough to figure out who will get it. Either way, Bioshock is an amazing looking game and I can't wait to get it.

Around the Network

wow........ this must be one of those underrated games. In that case, i'm buying this game!!! Ebgames, here i come!!!

I played Demo and I still don't see what's got everyone so worked up. I enjoyed it, but it still seems like an ideal rental. Reading the Eurogamer review they say "The overarching nature of the game is still admittedly linear," and when you die "essentially what happens is you get regenerated in a nearby pod, and carry on the fight from where you left off" and it sounds like a very strict narrative so I doubt there's much room for alternative endings or what not. Wish they mentioned how long the game clocks in at. EDIT: Looked at Game Informer's review, 15-20 hours and there is a second ending. Least that answers my question.

brainbox, the demo is a tutorial, it's the beginning of the game. things later on will no doubt get much meatier.

mr-money said:
brainbox, the demo is a tutorial, it's the beginning of the game. things later on will no doubt get much meatier.

I'm aware of that, but a lot of people were really taken by the Demo and loved it, and I felt it was just okay, so I think there's some disconnect for me and this game.

BrainBoxLtd said:
mr-money said:

I'm aware of that, but a lot of people were really taken by the Demo and loved it, and I felt it was just okay, so I think there's some disconnect for me and this game.

I myself felt like the demo was fantastic. I posted this on my own thread yesterday.

I was expecting big things from this game, but not neccessarily this big. It's kind of funny how you can tell when games are going to get good reviews by how excited the people from the websites or magazines get while previewing the product. Just by that vibe alone I knew that this gamewould get good reviews. but 10's. Wow.

Just kiss the tip.