By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN slams Boogie - 4.5

Legend11 said:
shams said:

It should be noted that IGN / Matt gave Mario Party 5/10 - and its approaching 2m sales worldwide, with only a couple of months on the market.

Still - no question that EA screwed up the execution of this. I didn't realise you couldn't sing AND dance at the same time... :(

So if EA had licensed the Mario name and had branded the game "Mario Boogie" complete with Mario characters instead of the ones they're using but with the exact same play mechanics it's likely that the game would be selling a lot more than it is now?

You slap a big brand name on anything and it sells more - fact. Brand this as Spiderman Boogie, Shrek Boogie  or even Halo Boogie (etc) - with the same game - and it would definitely sell more.

That said, MP8 got marked down because it was too similar to previous entries in the series. It has solid gameplay, and many, many hours of enjoyment in it.

Boogie (from the reviews) has no/minimal gameplay, and can be over within a couple of hours.  

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

@ EEPiccolo )

Yea , because graphics and presentation alone make the game 2 times more enjoyable , than the actual gameplay , wait what?

akuma587 said:
Smashchu said:
`Oh lookie. IGN hates on another Wii game. Or better yet, reviewers down play the Wii.

My problem is IGN almost alwasy has the lowest review scores. How hard is it to review games? IGN is always low comapired to the average. They are a psuedo Gamespot.

I'm not saying this game deserved a 7 or anything like that, but chancers are, it's 10x better then what they say. plus some information is goi9ng to be wrong. S&tSR and Mario Party 8 reviews both had competly wrong info that would have not been there had IGn not rushed these out the door. They always try to put it out a day before release. Hay Einstein can I get a quality review here.

And I continue towatch X-Play becuase despite their annoying antics give fair reviews and have a lot less biases then most critics out there

[/rant]

Looks like Wii consumers downplayed Boogie this week.

True, but that may be the fault of EA and minimal advertising.

Smashchu said:

True, but that may be the fault of EA and minimal advertising.
Maybe because cause they knew it would suck?

Maybe because casual games don't always go and purchase games during launch week and so they are hoping for long legs. If people start posting their homemade music videos made with this on youtube, this could really jump sales...

or not...

I am just saying you can't judge it's success or failure in one week like you can with a normal hardcore game...

Around the Network

EA isn't exactly turning out highly polished games these days. Take Madden 08 for instance -- choose your system -- it has issues. Also, I saw recently they were busted for posting touched up screenshots of their upcoming NBA line... It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they actually have a great concept and completely eff up the implementation.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Legend11 said:
So if EA had licensed the Mario name and had branded the game "Mario Boogie" complete with Mario characters instead of the ones they're using but with the exact same play mechanics it's likely that the game would be selling a lot more than it is now?

That sounds awesome.

Smashchu said:
`Oh lookie. IGN hates on another Wii game. Or better yet, reviewers down play the Wii.

My problem is IGN almost alwasy has the lowest review scores. How hard is it to review games? IGN is always low comapired to the average. They are a psuedo Gamespot.

I'm not saying this game deserved a 7 or anything like that, but chancers are, it's 10x better then what they say. plus some information is goi9ng to be wrong. S&tSR and Mario Party 8 reviews both had competly wrong info that would have not been there had IGn not rushed these out the door. They always try to put it out a day before release. Hay Einstein can I get a quality review here.

And I continue towatch X-Play becuase despite their annoying antics give fair reviews and have a lot less biases then most critics out there

[/rant]

My problem with Wii-fanboys such as yourself is that any time someone reviews a Wii game poorly you insert their name into the statement saying they always score too low.

IGN scored Mario Strikers Charged higher than over 25 other reviewers.

IGN has scored Madden NFL 08 for the Wii the VERY HIGHEST so far.  85.

Middle of the pack on Ratatouille:  70 compared to the average of 61.

Escape From Bug Island:  tied for 2nd highest score.

Oh, I get it...they scored Twilight Princess a lowly 95...that must be it...

Wait, Super Paper Mario got a 89 from them.  It averaged 85.  Over 25 reviewers scored lower.  I'll stop there...

Please stop discrediting reviewers just because you want games to be scored higher. 

It's official... Boogie is CRAP! And I'm damn glad it doesn't sell that much...

That said, the average score is 5.8 by the way, Gamespot's average would have been 5.7 instead of the 5.5. I kind of agree with Windbane, IGN gives a lot of nice scores to WII games, they gave a better score to Excite Truck than a Gamespot did. IGN gave E.T. a 8 while the numskulls at Gamespot turned the score into a 6.8.

If a game truly sucks, why should it receive high scores?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Umm. Have any of you actually played Boogie to disagree?

IMO, if I was playing a rhythmn game that had off-tempo beats, and your motions weren't in sync with the song, I would give it the same score - imagine Guitar Hero where the notes were absolutely nowhere correctly in place with the tracks.

It's very simple: EA failed at this, and IGN, just like many others, are punishing them critically for it.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.