By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GfK Chart-Track: UK 2008 Annual Sales

Indeed the Ps3's AR is large. The below method is, however, a bit... shoggy (I know! It's not even a word! Bloody...!)

Software in 08 vs current userbase (underlined is why it's shoggy)

Wii - 5.17M HW - 20.1M SW = 3.88 games pr console (in 08, and also a bit higher in reality)

Ps3 - 1.87M HW - 10.4M SW = 5.56 games pr console

X360 - 3.25M HW - 14.9M SW = 4.58 games pr console.

So that's a fair amount above the other consoles.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Indeed the Ps3's AR is large. The below method is, however, a bit... shoggy (I know! It's not even a word! Bloody...!)

Wii - 5.17M HW - 20.1M SW = 3.88 games pr console (in 08, and also a bit higher in reality)

I'm glad you call those ratios shoggy yourself, because it really doesn't make sense to devide the total sales in 2008 by the life to date sales at the end of 2008. Also I'm not that happy about using vgchartz hardware sales with charttrack software sales, but I guess you can't really do it any other way without access to charttrack data. 

koffieboon said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

I'm glad you call those ratios shoggy yourself, because it really doesn't make sense to devide the total sales in 2008 by the life to date sales at the end of 2008. Also I'm not that happy about using vgchartz hardware sales with charttrack software sales, but I guess you can't really do it any other way without access to charttrack data.

Yeah, it doesn't mean a lot, but it still gives a perspective (albeit, a bit anti-Wii)

And why is using VGChartz HW with Charttrack SW bad? The only reason I see for this, is the VGC HW being incorrect. For LT, I really doubt it is off by 10% (for the UK), so it's pretty decent really.

Wait, no - it's not.

If it's off by 5% on X360

3.1M HW = 4.8 games pr console

And 10% for Ps3

2M HW = 5.2 games pr console

And then it's in the "dead on" zone, as the way of getting them is a bit shoggy.

So including Wii Sports (Chart-Track doesn't) all consoles are really so dead on that my method is meaningless.

So, simply ignore my first post in this thread. (Thanks for telling me Koffie)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

PS3 not doing as badly as many have feared

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Updated OP with 2008 Top Tens (Individual & Multi), and 2008 hardware unit sales (9.3m).

Around the Network

So, with 12.7m current gen consoles and handhelds sold through 2007, with an additional 9.3m sold in 2008 that puts the total installed base at 22m. However, the previous gen PS2 should also be included in the 9.3m, so it will actually be slightly lower than that. MCV recently had an article about the death of the PS2 in the UK, and Game thought sales were insignificant enough to drop it from this year's proections, so it's probably only a few hundred thousand. It looks like console hardware sales outperformed Game's forecast.

so fifa was the best selling game in the uk for 2008? i would have expected gta iv to be even if it is only on 2 consoles.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
so fifa was the best selling game in the uk for 2008? i would have expected gta iv to be even if it is only on 2 consoles.

GTA IV did 1.7m according to leaked figures, whereas  ...

Incidentally, MK Wii was at 1.75m. All of these are actually through week one of 2009 though, so actual numbers will be a little less.

DS sales from september 2007 to september 2008 are insane, they almost doubled there install base.