By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony will trash your PS3 and chase you out of your home!

"actual fact" is redundant...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

i'm shaking in my booties.

ssj12 said:
na, they wont, but this is good, I wish more MMOs, Nintendo, and Microsoft would do this in their games (especially Microsoft, I hate those whiny 9 year olds.)

You know you can mute other players in a matter of seconds. And if you really hate it, just turn off teamspeak all together. At the very least, with live you can leave feedback and report the person.

Unfortunatly, this only applies to Home. This means that there will still be people standbying/exploiting in resistance, with no effectuive way to get rid of them. Sure, you can ban their account but they can make a new one in a matter of minuets.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I think it's good that they're gonna be banning inconsiderate, racist, 13 year old jerks (no offense to you if you're 13, if you're on this site you're still cool in my book, I'm talking about *ssholes).

This is one of the reasons I hate playing online, I hate getting cussed out by some kid who hasn't even gone through puberty yet.

EDIT: Sorry I repeated what a lot of other people already said, I just read the other comments.  It's being repeated so much because it's true though.

Judging on the comments on this thread, it seems that people doesn't like 13 years old...

Around the Network

I can see Sony SAYING they will do this - but actually "intentionally bricking PS3s" - I can't believe they would get that far (banning a user on HOME is fine though).

Imagine the issues if they did brick units..

- bricked units sold on Ebay

- people sueing Sony, or returning units for a full refund

- complaints, when a PS3 is "lent" to someone who does something like this - or if a friend comes over, and says something unacceptable within HOME.

It would have to be extreme cases - possibly criminal ones. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

sieanr said:
ssj12 said:
na, they wont, but this is good, I wish more MMOs, Nintendo, and Microsoft would do this in their games (especially Microsoft, I hate those whiny 9 year olds.)

You know you can mute other players in a matter of seconds. And if you really hate it, just turn off teamspeak all together. At the very least, with live you can leave feedback and report the person.

Unfortunatly, this only applies to Home. This means that there will still be people standbying/exploiting in resistance, with no effectuive way to get rid of them. Sure, you can ban their account but they can make a new one in a matter of minuets

Of course doing things could be difficult, but it's not all impossible. While making new accounts could be a problem, new patches can help fix bugs and exploits and there can be fixes to take care of some other problems. While it is more game specific, I believe something that they're adding to Warhawk that was a problem in the beta was that server hosts who would constantly rip out the internet from their PS3 close to the end of a round could actually get their hosting ability suspended.

---

As for Home, this is good (hopefully only used in EXTREME cases though) because people who were interested and skeptical of Home were all interested in how that stuff was going to be taken care of. While your own apartment probably wouldn't be looked at, cracking down on people being racist, harrassing others, crap like that is good. So the only question is now, how will their policies for punishments work?

I can just see it now: Little Timmy makes a forum post on Sony's official forums bitching up a storm. "I was doing stuff in Home and I suddenly got banned. WTF is goin on you *naughty words*". One minute later, somebody makes a post asking him what he did to get banned, and the kid answers "I was hating on a noob who was wearing a green shirt. Only *naughty word*'s wear green shirts".

. . . Actually, I saw something similar to that on Steampowered.com's forums. Some guy made a post asking why he was banned from Steam and he was bitching and cursing up a storm calling Valve every name in the book. The next post was from somebody who worked at Valve who was like "Let's find out why you were banned here. Oh yes, you tried to use 20 false credit card numbers to purchase Half-Life 2". 

Oh also, IGN has this on Home. It will, in fact, be a complaint system.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/812/812812p1.html

" "If you really feel like you've been abused or that someone has just shown wholly inappropriate behavior then you are able to complain about it," Edward said. "If you really, really misbehave you can have your console disconnected at a machine level, so you would actually have to move house and buy a new PS3 before you could get online again.

"Clearly that's not something we would want to be doing very often but as a disincentive to mess round too much it's in our power.

"It's a hard line to draw because we don't want to be walking around telling everyone off for saying 'bloody' so we've got to strike a balance there. We're going to be relying on users assessing what's appropriate to them -- if they've been subject to behavior they don't like they can complain about it rather than we walk around as virtual police."

Edwards also said Sony will be placing age-appropriate ads on Home for products such as cigarettes and alcohol.

"Ultimately we know a user's details, we know machine details and we know where they live," said Edward. "It's relatively simple to be confident that somebody is over 18. So it's no problem to have areas that are only open to those aged 18 years and over. We are able to do that quite comprehensively, we have access to the log-in data that they use for the PlayStation Network.

"Undoubtedly there are going to be some things and some brands that we are not going to want to be involved in the environment at any stage. But a large proportion of our demographic is over 18 so we will make a point of catering to that demographic -- we certainly don't want to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator." "