By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Just talking to a guy about to buy a console ...

Outcast said:
Solution: buy all your friends XBox 360s

Fixed. Buyyour friends $200 XBox 360 consoles which offers the same gaming experience as $400 PS3.

Around the Network
numonex said:
Outcast said:
Solution: buy all your friends XBox 360s & PlayStation 3's.

Fixed. Buyyour friends $200 XBox 360 consoles which offers the same gaming experience as $400 PS3.

Re-Fixed. Buy you're friends both HD consoles so they can be unbias and get the best of both worlds.

Really nu, you're bias is starting to show alot more now an days.

My law enforcement friends have PS3's and play Socom (which I never really got into) Battlefield, and Call of Duty. My "normal" friends all swayed towards the 360. I walk the line. Friends/Peer pressure is definitely a selling point. Before I got a PS3, I was being told to buy a PS3 all the time so that I could join the Socom clan. I can see it working both ways. Just having a friend who owns the same console as you will increase the potential number of games you can play.

madskillz said:

I definitely agree - the friend factor is really swaying potential PS3 sales - especially PS2 owners who don't have a carrot from Sony - to look at the 360 this time around.

Any similar experiences out there?

The friend factor is large.  It represents one of the strongest marketing factors out there, that being "Word of Mouth".  Friends will ask friends what they own and what they recommend, and what they enjoy playing.  This has a large effect on sales.  Also factor in the ability of friends to play online with one another, offline in front of the same screen, and the ability to borrow games.  

all my friends had 360s or ps2s. now the ps2 guys were gonna get a console so half got 360s and the others got ps3s. then a bunch of 360 owners orignnaly got ps3s. slowly more of my friends will have ps3s then 360s! finally sigh :*)

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Yep. A friend of mine went out and bought a 360 immediately after seeing how much better CoD4 played online on the 360. Another friend of mine bought a 360 a while ago, and he was hardcore PS3 lover. He bought it because most of his friends had a 360, and he wanted to play the games like Halo, Gears, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, etc.

I've heard lots of these same arguments around the university and it seems pretty clear that in the US especially, the 360 has the "my friends got one too" card.

i dont get it, how is COD4 better on 360? if you ask me i find matches quicker on psn.  other than that, there identical.

Most people I know own a xbox 360, only 1 real mate owns a PS3. We seem to forget that the xbox has a cool factor about it unlike PS3.

PC gaming rules.....

My friend in Wales just recently got a 360 (former PS2 owner)

I think its so easy to sell to people

Its cheaper than the Playstation, just like the PS3 it has great games, of a wider demograhic than the PS3 & the best online experience to be had.

I was recently surprised at how I kept bumping into people who just bought a PS3. For the longest time, I'd only met one person with one, but Blu-ray seems to really be getting some traction, and it's drawing people to the PS3. And yes, all these buyers expressed enthusiasm for Blu-ray movies as a key reason for buying the platform.

One person was over 40 and had never owned a console before. Some people do get an HDTV and start looking for HD signals, I guess. Not everybody, but some.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

madskillz said:

And he was positive he'd buy a PS3 for the gaming, Blu Ray and the like. His wife, however, wasn't big on the HD consoles and is a nongamer and wanted a Wii. However, after the holidays, she played 'Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe' and said yes to ... an Xbox 360. He said he was cool with the idea, but also stated something me and other video game bloggers at the paper were discussing - all of his friends he would game with have 360s. And another PS2 owner is going to get a 360 - and stated the number of co-workers with 360s and on LIVE was a factor for him too.

Another friend and fellow blogger who has a 360 and PS3 was saying he wants to get COD4 - he passed on it, now wants it - and couldn't believe how cheap the PS3 version is - vs. the 360 version, which is still  pretty much at full retail. He said the same thing - you could game online - for free - with the PS3 version, but it's only good if your peeps have PS3s.

I definitely agree - the friend factor is really swaying potential PS3 sales - especially PS2 owners who don't have a carrot from Sony - to look at the 360 this time around.

Any similar experiences out there?

Yeah, everyone at work has a PS3 yet we continue to get the 360 versions of games because most of us have 360's along with other friends who have 360's so we continually get the 360 version of games.