By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money can HOME make for SONY in a year?

Everyone is calling HOME a "cash cow" for SONY, but realistically, how much can it make for them? I know we have no real way of truly knowing but lets say if you had to guess, what would you say.

The only piece of information that we know is that HOME made more money in 4 days than the video store did in its first week or something like that.

We also know that there are about 15 Million people on PSN and that the least expensive object in home is worth $0.5 i think. So for example if lets say 1.5 Million people bought one $0.5 object, SONY will have made $750,000.

So my estimate would be that HOME could bring SONY about $10 Mil every year or so. I'm not sure if my estimate is too high or too low, but tell me what you think.

Around the Network

I can be assed doing the maths. I would guess $10M also.

Too early to know unfortunately. Your estimate looks reasonable to me, assuming Home and microtransactions continue to be popular among PS3's base. It could still be a "fad" for all we know.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I bought over $5 worth of stuff. If home goes the Animal Crossing route, and gives me some good games to play at my apartment or offers some content that's more than cosmetic (exclusive videos and podcasts to watch at my place) new music, or things of that nature, I can see myself buying a whole lot more.

So, to answer your question: I have no earthly idea.

Well ,we also have to take into accout the money some advertisers put in Home ...for movies ,Red Bull ,whatever .

I think it can be quite a bit more ...25-30 million .

Around the Network

you got to take into account how much it cost sony to run home. Running home aint free you know.

I TAKE NO SIDES

too early to tell , not a whole lot of historical data we can use.

anyone know how much second life makes?

Well theres probably lots of people like me out there. The kind of people who aren't going to pay $1 for a bigger TV in my apartment in a video game.

Yeah right now its too early to say homes make sony money or loses money since we are unsure of the total cost it takes to run home with maintence, bandwidth, servers and other misc fee taken into account.

I TAKE NO SIDES

coolestguyever said:
Well theres probably lots of people like me out there. The kind of people who aren't going to pay $1 for a bigger TV in my apartment in a video game.

that's where your statement falls apart