By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are Metroid franchise sales so low? How can the franchise grow?

liquidninja said:

Wow, I coulda swore I hear someone tell me that Metroid wasn't as big in Japan as it was in America. Apparently they didn't take into consideration that Super Metroid sold more there the here.

I Also didn't know that Metroid Prime was the highest selling Metroid. And I though Super Metroid did better than regular Metroid. (I guess because I'd never even knew about NES Metroid until a couple years ago.)

Well on topic, I guess they could add a peripheral to the next one. Like the arm cannon thingy in the game.

My understanding is that Kid Icarus actually was/is a bigger series popularity-wise than Metroid, in Japan.  A characteristic of Japanese games is linearity, and Kid Icarus is more linear than Metroid.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
I think Metroid Prime was bundled with the Gamecube for a short while (explaining the high sales).

It was, at least in the UK. I'm a huge Metroid fan now (and was always a Nintendo fan), but I'd never heard of Metroid until I got the GC bundle in the UK to replace my NTSC GC.

"Wow, I coulda swore I hear someone tell me that Metroid wasn't as big in Japan as it was in America. Apparently they didn't take into consideration that Super Metroid sold more there the here."

The word "anymore" was used in the original post.

Really good multiplayer, good marketing, (optional) third person perspective, and more relate-able enemies would go a long way towards Metroid's mainstream success.

Metroid games have always been a niche series. There have always been a steady market for it just not blockbuster type. Nintendo makes metroid games to keep the niche crowd for it happy like myself.

I TAKE NO SIDES

Nah, Mario Kart is the third best respected franchise.

failing that i would put Donkey Kong in front of Metroid.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

I think it's a number of things. In Japan, FPS aren't popular so it's never going to recapture its popularity there. Second, it's not a conventional FPS so it won't ever be completely mainstream in America.

Third, I've always believed Samus as a character isn't as appealing as the other Nintendo characters because she's faceless. She isn't as likeable as Mario or Link

Nintendo need to create their own FPS franchise, or a third party make one exclusively nintendo(such as conduit, I suppose). They should not bastardize Metroid Prime for a mainstream FPS audience. Metroid works best as an FPA, MP:3 was closer to being a normal FPS and that was it's problem.

Keep the focus on exploration, openness, atmosphere, and the series will stay popular(rather than pale in comparison to proper FPS's).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Soleron said:

"Wow, I coulda swore I hear someone tell me that Metroid wasn't as big in Japan as it was in America. Apparently they didn't take into consideration that Super Metroid sold more there the here."

The word "anymore" was used in the original post.

I wasn't referring to the original post. I was actually referring to someone I heard.

Prime came out on the cheaper Player's Choice label as well, don't forget.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

I liked MP3 and am waiting for MP1 and 2 to come on Play Wii (or what is that thing) so I can play them with wiimote.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."