By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft target Nintendo in the next generation?

The Wii also plays music and views photos. It also streams music and photos. It also surfs the net. It also comes with a puzzle and a paint program.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:

What you say is true for systems with chaotic attractors. Is gaming market such a system? Or not? Or perhaps is it a sum of different functions of which maybe some are chaotic, but that have only a partial influence on the whole, adding variance but up to a certain degree? As amongst the few things we know, there is that "real" economy (not the speculative one) has a quite slow growth, in the best years it grew in the order of tens percent, so we can say that also the possible chaotic components have BIBO stability, the potential market is limited with limited economic resources.

Microsoft watched Sony's actions like a hawk, If Sony's gameplan changed then Microsoft's would have too. They knew about the Cell processor a long time before the PS3 was released. Therefore if you went back in time and changed Sony's plans then Microsoft's plans would have be adjusted to match.

No Cell? No Xenon.

Tease.

Pssst, Grampy wrote 5billion YEN/yr for R&D

Edit: about your reply to me, what you describe is a system with feedback, in theory it could be unstable and maybe even chaotic, in reality it's BIBO anyway due to economy constraints and I'd guess stable in more stringent ways too, and think of it, were it unstable no player could have a clue about its own moves consequences

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Comrade Tovya said:
^^^ That's what it sounded like to me, and that would be more than a little foolish. MS has too much money and drive to succeed for anyone to ignore them.

i ignore them, its healthier

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I think in terms controller ingenuity and originality Nintendo's the only game in town. You talk of N64 like it was unsuccessful. Jesus, it basically invented 3d videogames and the analogue stick.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

As was experienced by sony with playstation brand, overconfidence is really a bad idea.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Khuutra said:
No.

Microsoft's whole purpose for getting into the gaming business was to keep the Playstation from taking over the living room because it was a threat to the Windows platform - the PS3 was one more step towards being a PC replacement, after all.

The Wii is about as threatening to Windows as cable television is.

This is the correct answer.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I wouldn't underestimate anyone at this point. Sure nintendo will come into next gen with a huge amount of support and goodwill but that didn't stop nintendo from beating the ps3 this gen now did it?

If Microsoft indeed sees Nintendo as no thread whatsoever, and Sony ceases to exist as a competitor, they may very well just try and funnel their consol dynasty back into windows gaming to reconsolidate their assets.

Though they'll at least be in the console game for one more generation.

Squilliam said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

What you say is true for systems with chaotic attractors. Is gaming market such a system? Or not? Or perhaps is it a sum of different functions of which maybe some are chaotic, but that have only a partial influence on the whole, adding variance but up to a certain degree? As amongst the few things we know, there is that "real" economy (not the speculative one) has a quite slow growth, in the best years it grew in the order of tens percent, so we can say that also the possible chaotic components have BIBO stability, the potential market is limited with limited economic resources.

Microsoft watched Sony's actions like a hawk, If Sony's gameplan changed then Microsoft's would have too. They knew about the Cell processor a long time before the PS3 was released. Therefore if you went back in time and changed Sony's plans then Microsoft's plans would have be adjusted to match.

No Cell? No Xenon.

Had there been no Cell, and for argument's sake, no Blu-Ray, it wouldn't have mattered what Microsoft did as the PS3 would have been far cheaper at launch.

The PS3 would have handily outsold the 360 on that fact alone.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3