By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are reviewers afraid of fanboys?

Super Mario Sunshine 92

Halo 3 94

Gta iv 98

In my opinion three good games but also three game i and alot of people feel are overrated.

So the question is do you feel they're certain franchises that gaming websites/magazines

are afraid that if they score them too low their message boards will be filled with a virtual lynch mob?

Around the Network

could be a possibility.

Magazine subscriptions and websites are obviously only successful so long as their readers/members don't cancel on them. SO I believe there is a certain amount of "lets not piss them off by rating the game this" involved.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Dunno, could be. Guess not though.

But Sunshine, 92, overrated? Whot? o_O

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

How can a game which still has over a million people playing it regularly online be over-rated?

Tease.

At the time, when I was playing Mario Sunshine, I was having the time of my life. It was amazing to me.

At the time when I was playing Halo 3, I was in awe. I don't know what everyone else was used to, but I was impressed. I even went back and bought Halo 1 and 2.

But, when I got to Grand Theft Auto IV, something didn't feel right. Right off the bat, I noticed a lack of variety in missions and a lack of innovation. Someting was definitely wrong with the video game media.

I think that there is a bit of fear in video game reviews. Reviewers are giving games what they think we want to see, instead of what they deserve. With lesser known titles, I think that we get fair and balanced reviews. With the "Killer Aps", I really can't put much faith in them anymore. There are too many flaws in games (that I admitedly love) for them to be pulling in the scores that they are making. I'd rather be dissapointed in a game's review than to spend $60 on a game and be dissapointed in it's purchase.

Around the Network

Your right. I do not know which site it was but when they gave GTA IV a 9/10 they changed it to a 10/10 due to the backlash of fanboys.

I suspect Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery would get better reviews if they were almost exactly the same but were part of the FF series.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Firstly, i haven't played much of GTAIV and none of Halo3 so i'll refrain from commenting but Mario Sunshine at 92 is not overrated. It's just that it's relatively bad compared to the strength of the other games in the series. It's still an awesome game and i can say that even after finishing Galaxy 3 times.

Reviewers aren't afraid of fanboys, most of them are fanboys.

It's a factor, but probably not the biggest.

YES! I feel this is a effecting the reviews of quite a few series [won't call any names..]

4 ≈ One