By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBox 360 Error Codes - i got E68 last night.........will it be ok???

XBox Error Codes - XBox 360 Error Codes

Specific Error Codes - 1 Light Flashing

The Specific Type of hardware failure can be determined by the error code displayed on the screen.
If the screen is blank or you would like additional information follow the instructions for determining the secondary error code in the section below
E45: Unknown (possibly dashboard update related)

E64: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc.

E65: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc. This can also be caused by the tray not being fully closed on boot.

E66: DVD Drive Error: DVD model, or version does not match that of the version expected by the dashboard. OR the firmware version on the drive is older then the firmware version expected by the dashboard. Make sure the DVD drive is of the same version originally included with the console and that it is using either the original firmware included with the console or newer.

E67: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E68: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it, This can also be caused by a Hard Drive Eprom Error. Some also believe this might be caused by a problem with the fans.

E69: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E71: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

E72: (not yet known)

E73: General Hardware Error: Ethernet port... this error is caused by a problem with the Ethernet port.

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. If the cable is known to be working then there is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip connected directly to the AV cable) in rare cases it is the GPU.

E76: (not yet known)

E79: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

--------------------------------------------------

i was booting up fable 2 last night and console made a click noise then went straight to a black screen saying xbox error E68...........i turned console off then on again and it seemed to be fine.

ive had it 5 months and i belive its the newer falcon model.

is this error anything significant? shall i leave it as it is?

any help would be appreciated

screen like this^ but number E 68

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

ive lost count of the amount of errors this console gets..........................

your 360 has 6 months to llive....sorry :(

Happened to me once a few months ago. I removed my HDD, snapped it back on, and it hasn't happened again since.

Tag it and bag it.

Around the Network

My HDD had been acting up for over a year but only with Halo 3. It wouldn't allow me to rewind of fast forward in theater mode. Whenever I would try, it would say that there was a disk error and then it would wipe out everything that was in my theater. Then about a month ago it completely shit the bed. I would continuously get the E68 error code whenever I turned on my 360, regardless of the game I had in the disk tray. Luckily my buddy hooked me up with his old 20gb HDD and I haven't had the problem since. In my case it was simply the HDD so now might be a good time for you to upgrade if you haven't already done so.

badgenome said:
Happened to me once a few months ago. I removed my HDD, snapped it back on, and it hasn't happened again since.

ive re attached the hd, it works i just hope it lasts me because this one is the second ive purchased.

if it happens again, i will just take it back and try to get an exchange.

ty for replies

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

Jagg-off said:
My HDD had been acting up for over a year but only with Halo 3. It wouldn't allow me to rewind of fast forward in theater mode. Whenever I would try, it would say that there was a disk error and then it would wipe out everything that was in my theater. Then about a month ago it completely shit the bed. I would continuously get the E68 error code whenever I turned on my 360, regardless of the game I had in the disk tray. Luckily my buddy hooked me up with his old 20gb HDD and I haven't had the problem since. In my case it was simply the HDD so now might be a good time for you to upgrade if you haven't already done so.

im still on my old 20 gig hd that i bought near 360 launch.

id love to have a 60gig as ive only got 1.2gig left on my current hd, but there a bit to much imo, i might track down another 20gig hd if it is the hd thats the fault.

Also try clearing your cache. Just google "360 clear cache code" and it will tell you how to do it.

I had this happen once with a friend. Cleared his cache and has been going 6 months w/o it happening again.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

This is not uncommon with HDD in PCs as well.... I've seen it more with Samsung and WD than any other I've had though. I'm not sure what company made the 20 gig version.