By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How to Build a Kick-ass $800 Gaming PC

The first 6 pages or so are the instructions and parts.  Decent benchmark scores.

How to Build a Kick-ass $800 Gaming PC

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_a_kickass_800_gaming_pc?page=0%2C5

We put this $800 PC up against our standard zero point machine  to see how it matches up against a rig that costs twice as much. It’s not hard to guess that the zero point system with a Core 2 Quad and a Velociraptor would beat our budget rig on every test possible, but the $800 wonder did surprisingly well in some of the tests. Premiere Pro tests showed a two minute difference but in Photoshop we only experienced a 4 second difference while Photodex ProShow Producer showed a 41 second difference. MainConcept Reference hit our budget PC hard, though, and further shows that MainConcept is optimized for four cores. 

We went into our gaming benchmark with low expectations from our budget card, the Radeon HD 4850. Obviously, it is no match against the dual GeForce 8800 GTX setup in the Zero Point system. With settings cranked up to the max, our card was barely able to spit out 16 FPS in Crysis. While playing Crysis at the highest settings possible and a resolution of 1920x1200 simply isn’t an option, turning down the graphic settings to medium resulted in 43 FPS made the game much more playable. Unreal Tournament 3 managed to give us a stellar 78 FPS. If you’re running at typical 22-inch LCD resolutions, this machine should kick ass.

So what can we say about this all-around budget PC? We can clearly see the difference between a budget system and performance system. However, we can also see that our budget PC is able to run every game and test we throw at it with very respectable benchmark scores. And if you spend a little extra over the $800 budget, performance can easily be increased – upgrades to video card, processor, or memory – but we are very pleased with the setup and performance we have here. 

Benchmarks
Zero Point   $800 PC
Premiere Pro CS3 1,260 sec   1,380 sec
Photoshop CS3 150 sec   154 sec
ProShow 1,415 sec   1,456 sec
MainConcept 1,872 sec   2,716 sec
Crysis 26 fps   16 fps
Unreal Tournament 3 83 fps   78 fps

Best scores bolded. Our current desktop test bed consists of a quad-core 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, 2GB of Corsair DDR2/800 RAM on an EVGA 680 SLI motherboard, two EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX cards in SLI mode, a Western Digital 150GB Raptor and 500GB Caviar hard drives, an LG GGC-H20L optical drive, a Sound Blaster X-Fi soundcard, a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad PSU, and Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Parts List:

Antec Three Hundred ($60, www.antec.com)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz Wolfdale ($165, www.intel.com)

Visiontek Radeon HD 4850 ($185, www.visiontek.com)

Seagate 500GB Barracuda ($65, www.seagate.com)

MSI P45 Neo3 ($110, www.msi.com.tw)

Samsung SH-S223F DVD Burner ($25, www.samsung.com)

Antec NeoPower 500 ($90, www.antec.com)

Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 800 ($40, www.corsair.com)

Around the Network

Budget and $800???? Thats a total Oxymoron.

My "budget" system would be $450.

Tease.

Yes, because if I want to play Crysis I want a computer that runs it at 16fps. That is totally acceptable. -_-

Good stuff, think it points out that for $700-$900 you can build a monster right for todays games.

Had to change my sig to get some moderator to quit bitching about it......

twesterm said:
Yes, because if I want to play Crysis I want a computer that runs it at 16fps. That is totally acceptable. -_-

Considering that that's running with Very High settings at 1920x1200, it's not that unreasonable.

Hell, my monitor doesn't even go that high.

Around the Network

I got a video card upgrade and a ram upgrade recently. I got Crisis Warhead running...does look nice even on "gamer" setting with 1360x768...not "enthusiast" and 1900x1080 (can't run that high with a good frame rate)...however gameplay doesn't keep the amazing level that the graphics do.

My point...don't bother with ubber expensive machines to get Crysys running at 100% everything as the game isn't all that great.

disolitude said:
I got a video card upgrade and a ram upgrade recently. I got Crisis Warhead running...does look nice even on "gamer" setting with 1360x768...not "enthusiast" and 1900x1080 (can't run that high with a good frame rate)...however gameplay doesn't keep the amazing level that the graphics do.

My point...don't bother with ubber expensive machines to get Crysys running at 100% everything as the game isn't all that great.

Yeah, Crysis is woefully mediocre.

twesterm said:

turning down the graphic settings to medium resulted in 43 FPS made the game much more playable.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I just built an $800 system (well, $797, close enough). From scratch I got..

A case
500 gig Hard drive
4 GB RAM
Intel e8400
Radeon HD 4850
CDDVD drive/burner
A 23" HDTV (720P)
keyboard, mouse
Operating System
CPU fan
motherboard
wireless network card

Gotta love the holiday deals!

Yeah, and PC gaming is the best and for everyone!

Seriously, if you don't have at least 2 years experience building rigs, plus a full-time job, then don't even bother with PC-HD gaming.

I have all of those things, but I just don't have the time, patience, or luck to put that much effort into it.

I let Squilliam find me a prebuilt 400$ PC that I added a card on, and it runs HD games well enough for me to realize I'd rather be playing them on a console.

That said, 800 dollars is a cheap gaming rig, according to most entheusiasts....and people argue that PC gaming pwns all.

You know what PC gaming is exactly like? The NeoGeo.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.