By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP limited by wireless play?

This has been out for a few days now, surprised no one has jumped on it:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27589

Handheld's CPU power apparently restricted during multiplayer sessions

According to a report on Beyond3D, Sony's PlayStation Portable loses a third of its processing power when the WiFi adapter is enabled.

The tests were run using the clock control function in the Firmware 3.5 update, which allowed the clock to run at its full 333MHz frequency.

However, when the wireless adapter was enabled the speed dropped to 222MHz.

Speculation has followed that games with multiplayer elements are therefore throttled slightly in terms of the power they're able to tap, while other games that are single-player only face no such restrictions.

When contacted on the matter by GamesIndustry.biz, Sony declined to comment.

This is all very bizarre IMO. Why would Sony do things like this? I wonder if it has more to do with over-drawing current (i.e. machine becomes unstable) rather than extra battery life draining?

I hope they get their act together for the PSP2. Online/WiFi play is rapidly becoming one of the biggest strengths of the DS system.

This also impacts their plans for using the PSP as an accessory for the PS3.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Thats pretty bad news IMO . Common , with the PSP slim beeing here in a cuple of weeks who really cares about battery life . I will put in a 2300mah battery in it anyways , giving me 10 hours + of gameplay at max settings , and more than 7 with WiFi turned on . This is indeed a bad news :(

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!