By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Old games you used to love but have not aged well

So I broke out my N64 over the weekend to test my N64 controllers (long story).  Anyway, I popped in Goldeneye 007, and boy was I shocked.  I remember absolutely loving this game before, but I could not play it now.  And if it was only the fact that the graphics are so choppy (really choppy) I think it'd be OK.  However, the headbobbing was awful!  Both my wife and I were getting motion-sickness watching it, which never happened before, and we used to constantly have deathmatches.  I've never gotten motion-sickness from playing an FPS until now.  Maybe I'm just getting old, I dunno.

Does anyone else have interesting experiences to share about old games that have not aged well for you? 

-Manella: Yeah... sux0rz! I hate missing out on food...
-Maya: Nick... what does "Sucksores" mean?
-Phoenix: No idea...

Around the Network

For me there's usually an initial shock to get over with the graphics, but once I'm past it I can get back into the game just like in the old days. It's much easier to go back to old 2D graphics than old 3D graphics, I find -- for instance, FF Tactics has aged well, while with something like FF VII I stop and go, "Gah, did it really look that bad?"

Some games are untouched by time. Super Mario 3 and the Sonic the Hedgehog games look and feel exactly as I remember them -- there's no adjustment period at all. But in some genres, gameplay really has advanced enough to make those old games tedious. Golden Axe and Streets of Rage, for instance, aren't much fun anymore. And I've heard from a lot of people who share your complaint that Goldeneye has aged poorly.

Goldeneye, definitely. The graphics don't bother me unless there's choppiness, but the gameplay itself is just clumsy now.

I played a lot of beat-em-ups, and Double Dragon, for one, is just fugly now.

FF and FFIV

Moonwalker. It was funny when I played it on the Genesis, but playing it again made me realize it was pretty average.

Around the Network

Pretty much all the old games shock me at how bad they were even though I thought they were great at the time.  I've stopped looking at virtual console and xbla remakes.  Junk compared to what's out now.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

yeah I agree 2D old games are easier to get back to than 3D i totally agree with Borkachev

Half life 1

damn that game looks like crap now

but still fun

Star fox for the n64

Hilarious. I read this thread title and immedately thought "Goldeneye".

I guess I'm not the only one.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

well i have some retro parties with friends sometimes. usually we put in golden eye and mariokart 64.

the games look awful at this point, guess iam to spoiled atm with hd graphs.

but man man man what a good fun i had and still hbave with them

but 007 has the same effect on me as on gears of war now. its just a big step in graphical gaming. and the gameplay got stweaked and all.

indeed golden eye is now hard to play, but then.... man so nice.

life isn't complicated, just face it simple.