By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Breaking news: PS3 at 299 euros, and all games at 49 euros in all europe

Still expensive.

Around the Network
Seneque said:
Soleron said:
How can France call our currency something different to what we call it? That doesn't make any sense.

But, yes, 1 GBP = 1 EUR for all practical purposes. Buy our stuff, please, it'll save our economy. We should join the Euro...
Diomedes1976 said:
Yes its bizarre but for all the latin-speaking countries of Europe (France,Spain ,Portugal,Italy ,Rumania) the Pound is the Sterling Livre and London is Londres ....thats the way it is !

lol. ^_^

That's not bizarre at all. The UK/GB currency is extremely old, and should actually really be called the "Sterling" (or officially "Pound Sterling") by the British themselves.

The pound is a weight unit, that is translated by 'livre' in France. Historically, 240 pennies (coins) of the Sterling currency would weighed 1 pound, hence a pound of Sterling.

The Latin countries still use the historical (and technically correct) denomination.

Now, if you want to be exact, call us 'Français', and not 'French' (not 'Fwançais' : 'Français', it's a R). Good luck. :p

Exactly, and the germans "Deutsche" (pronounced "doisch"), the brazilians "brasileiros", italians "italianos", mexicans "mexicanos" (pronounced "mejicanos"), the japanese "日本人" (pronounced Nihon-jin), the russians"Русские" (pronounced "Russkie"), etc.

That's why in every language we have a way to say them, imagine if all cities, currencies, etc. we had to learn saying it in the original language...

NJ5 said:
On another note, don't assume this will go on forever. If the pound stays weak for a long time, some companies may raise UK prices.

Hell, those carbon blobs in whitehall might even get their heads together and bring the UK into the Euro. Won't happen, though.

In reply to all of the etymology responses:

I didn't realise "livre" was a translation of "pound". I thought you were calling it something entirely different. It makes more sense now. And, yes, I am aware that "France" is not the actual name of the country but is a translation too.

I know it's "pound sterling" officially, but no one (not even the government) uses the full term except in legal documents.

Around the Network

Honestly, right now, why would we want to give our good Euro to the English? I mean we offered it and they declined often enough. Now they can suffer for a bit for being haughty. And we dont have to fly to US for cheap shopping, but rather London...nice.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

saldy most console buyers buy their consoles at stores not online.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

patrice1970 said:
In france we call London, Londres ! We are like this ! Sorry !

Well, in Italy Londra. But London's original name was the latin "Londinum" 

Anyway, "livre", "lira" and "libra", from the latin "libra", have all the same original meaning, that is "pound". And the original medieval coins with such names were initially worth one pound of silver, although to not let things be so simple , the weight of one pound, unlike the kilogram, varied from one country to the other.

Edit: sorry, didn't read Seneque explaining the same thing.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

patrice1970 said:
there is no special discount pound, not until economic'srecovery of the UK... in many many months ahead

Bad for British people, but good for other european why buy british things

Time to buy stilton, cheddar, After Eight, Marmite and PS3!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

If this is true, I hope to see some good sales in Others by the end of next week.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY