By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Study: Gamers unaware, don't care about additional game console features

akuma587 said:
I still stand by what I said about the average person being brain-damaged, ESPECIALLY when it comes to technology. I am not judging them, since they usually end up paying for it by forking over money for tech support and a whole bunch of unnecessary things at Best Buy they don't even know how to use. People who make the technology can only do so much.

Akuma -- you have to consider the "average" consumer in context.  Think about several "things" -- cars, telescopes, hot tubs.  For each of these "things" there are a small number of expert buyers that know everything there is to know about each of them.   The average hot tub buyer buys what the sales rep has in stock while some will study the latest in salt vs. chlorine, UV-type cleaning and pump types.  For me, I'd just buy one, lol.  Same holds true for, say, telescopes.  There are reflectors and refractors, different size eyepieces, motorized, non motorized and so on.  The average gazer wants to look at the moon, buys one, and does it without considering all the features.  Because you are I are not experts in telescope lens technology, does that make us brain damaged?  Not really -- just not fully informed.

I'd be willing to bet that if you performed the same type of survey on several differnt types of "stuff" you'd find similar results in the number of people who don't know or care about all the "peripheral features".  After all, we can't all be experts at EVERYTHING...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
Takashii360 said:
Well to be honest with you the DVD player in the inside of the PS2 is what drove consumers into getting the PS2...At the time of the PS2 launch nobody could afford DVD players because it was expensive...and I believe many people caught the attention that a DVD player and a game console for $300 was a bargain at the time...especially for the Japanese they needed to see Enter the Matrix!!!

That's a myth. There's market research from the same period indicating that DVD had little to no effect on PS2 sales. Which should be fariyl obvious, given the parallels with today.

I think the average tech geek must be emotionally crippled, given the bile they spew towards people who don't share their interests.

Don't know/care about Blu-Ray? You must be brain-damaged. pwn3d!

kn said:
Entroper said:

I think this is why Nintendo used "channels" for the Wii interface. It puts all the features of the console right up on the screen when you turn it on.

I don't own a PS3 or Xbox -- if you boot it up with a disc in the drive, does it skip the interface and go straight to the game?

You can choose to have it either way. Personally, I don't like it going straight to the game so I have it go to the menu first and then boot the game in the drive if I want to play it.

Sure, but what's the default?  If the default is to boot straight to the game, how many people will even know that it's possible to change it?

So basically then, this thread was to prove that features within a console does not matter to a consumers eye right?? So basically games is what draws consumers to a system...cool then I never realized that I always thought it was the features...

Around the Network
Entroper said:
kn said:
Entroper said:

I think this is why Nintendo used "channels" for the Wii interface. It puts all the features of the console right up on the screen when you turn it on.

I don't own a PS3 or Xbox -- if you boot it up with a disc in the drive, does it skip the interface and go straight to the game?

You can choose to have it either way. Personally, I don't like it going straight to the game so I have it go to the menu first and then boot the game in the drive if I want to play it.

Sure, but what's the default? If the default is to boot straight to the game, how many people will even know that it's possible to change it?

Default is straight to the game.  I didn't realize what you were getting at but yes, that's certainly something that would keep people from exploring if they didn't even know it was there.  I don't know on the PS3.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.