By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo can't say anything during GDC now. :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144790 Just got the word from Nintendo's PR agency: executives and developers will not be able to answer any kind of "forward-looking" questions at Game Developers Conference, because of the secondary stock sale that's pending in Japan. That means that Aonuma won't be able to talk about the future of the Zelda series, etc. Also that Reggie/Perrin can't say anything about the future. At all. Seems like we should all dramatically scale back our expectations for what we're going to learn at GDC. http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/03/nintendo_no_new.html FYI http://www.sec.gov/answers/quiet.htm

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

This is gonna hurt nintendo bad. Sony has loads of goodies... I'm sure microsoft does too... Now Nintendo has nothing.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

since im not looking THAT FAR ahead to games that wont come for at least half year or more, i rather choose to just wait and get a surprise even month before to find out what cool games are out for the wii. :) makes the challenge to preorder more fun doesnt matter for me if future zelda is announced or not. if they do, im sure it wont dissapoint me :)

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

just how... seriously... how can you twist this to good news? PS3 and 360 are gonna be makeing headline news worldwide. While no-one will even talk about the Wii. "Yeah... 4 months ago The Wii launched with an awesome game called Wii Sports... No-one knows what nintendo's next move will be..." That does not sound like a good read/listen/watch. "Sony just showed a 5minute ingame video from Killzone. HOLY CRAP. There is no way that is real. It is so amazing and they are going to be giveing a demo in 1 month!!! HOLY SMOKES!!!" "Microsoft just showed the first ingame screenshots from Halo3 and BOY ARE THEY AMAZING. Cant wait for Halo3 to come out!" "Nintendo didn't say anything."

Kwaad said: This is gonna hurt nintendo bad. Sony has loads of goodies... I'm sure microsoft does too... Now Nintendo has nothing.
GDC is a technical, industry insider, affair and it is (typically) considered bad form to treat it as a press event ... It is a good opportunity for middleware developers to showcase their products but companies (rarely) announce or showcase games at this time (exceptions would be a demonstration of something like Spore to showcase the potential of procedural content development) ... Most of the events at the GDC are lectures that are based around design or technical aspects of game development; you can hear an industry great like Carmack or Peter Molyneux discuss their philosophy to videogame development or you can see a lecture held by Epic Games on how to get optimal performance out of shaders in the Unreal 3 engine. Typically (pre-Iwata) Nintendo has not participated in the GDC and their involvement has (mostly) been based on the philosophy of game development. I could be wrong but I believe the last speaker Nintendo sent to the GDC was Iwata and (if you haven't already seen it) I suggest you find and download the video of his keynote ...

Around the Network

kwaad, seriously? hm...i dont know. actually i dont read that much gaming news. not enuf time to keep up with everything. only once in a while i look around and see what new games are coming. i see it, i like it, i buy it. my list of games still to play is so long that i dont worry as much about future games except for titles i really love, like mario, zelda, final fantasy, and gran turismo. i just take other titles as they come.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Well we all know what sony is doing there. What else they do, we dont know. KillZone would be a good. "Check this crap out. We did this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this." But the Avatar system being demo'd is gonna be big news. If it's anything like I'm picturing in my head... it's gonna rock.

Well it's definitely not good news. It's not particularly harmful bad news either though. I somehow doubt consumers are going to think "Well that's it. They didn't say anything at GDC, so I'm not buying a Wii now." No, Nintendo will just postpone all of their announcement a few weeks at the most and then have their own press release. People will continue to buy the shit out of the Wii and DS, and everything will continue in its present fashion.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

It's all about hype. Microsoft and sony are getting hype from this. Will Nintendo be able to do anything at E3? Holy crap, lucky for nintendo the E3 delay!!! If nintendo cant do E3... I will seriously die laughing. Because that would be so horrible... I wouldnt even wish it on them.

Why would that be so horrible? You seem to be oblivious to what the target demographic is for the Wii and DS. I'll give you a hint: it's not you, and it's not me. And by that I mean it's not the hardcore gaming audience, it's the mainstream. I would bet over 99% of the people you would ask on the street of NYC would have no what GDC is. But I bet they've heard of the Wii or DS, or possibly either own or plan to purchase one or both.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless