By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Big problem installing a video card!

Hi,

I have a motherboard A8N-E with a old pci-e video card that i wanted to change. I think it's a x300.

I buyed a EVGA Geforce 8800GTS used and I cant plug it!

Around the Network

CAN SOMEONE IP BAN ME?

If it really gets stuck and touches the purple thing there is no solution but to buy another graphics card or motherboard.

Nothing you can do, had the same problem when installing my sons £350 graphics card a couple of years ago so bought another motherboard instead... but it did teach me to make sure there is room before buying components in the future!

Wow, thx for the answer guys.

I cant remove that purple thing?!

Around the Network

Well that sux and no, you shouldn't remove the purple thing

Looking at this: hhttp://www.build-your-own-computer.net/motherboard-diagram.html

That is the heatsink to the northbridge so yea, u must keep it there. The thing is that the 8800GTS is approximately twice as large as the normal video card with a heatsink, so I wouldn't blame you for your purchasing decision, but I wouldnt checked the mobo out b4 u bought the card to see if it would fit or not.

2 things u can do here, change the mobo or get a new video card. a radeon 4850 takes up 1 slot and is just as powerful as a 8800gts. That is my suggestion

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

nufan00 said:
Wow, thx for the answer guys.

I cant remove that purple thing?!

I'm not even sure you should have opened the case without supervision with a question like that! :0P

Removing the heatsink on the northbridge is a quick way to break your motherboard. You should see if the place you bought the graphics card will take it back. If not, consider buying from newegg.com, where you can.

Sucks, I almost had the same problem with my GT8800, luckily I measured first.

Of course you can remove this "purple" thing.

You need to replace it with something like this:

http://www.cooling.pl/thermalright-hr05sli-chipset-cooler,produkt,1632.html

Edit: i've checked and this one won't work but you need to look for low profile replacement northbride cooling solutions.

Edit 2: you could also reduce the height of obstructing elements if the diffrence is minimal.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB