By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 -Launching the MTV Era? -Rumor

The following is a copy and paste from an Nsider thread started by a member named "Endearing_Flames". He claims to be a developer and most of his posts that I have seen do seem rather credible and informative -Of course that alone does not mean he is telling the truth.

Nonetheless he did have an interesting "rumor" to post about a few weeks ago. It concerned future advertising incorporating the MTV music video and that game to launch this bid being MGS4. He are the two posts that he has made posted one after another. The second post deals specifically with Metal Gear Solid 4.

What are your thoughts on his posts, even if taking it with a grain of salt as do I, if it were to be true would you believe this to be an effective future tactic and viable option for MGS4?

Edit: I PM-d the member on Nsider about this thread and gave him a link to the website. He's online so maybe he'll join and add something relevant to the discussion.

POST 1.

There are some rumors in the industry regarding future advertisement tactics for games.

Games are now multi million dollar projects with multi million dollar marketing campaigns.
However the generally used marketing tactics only reach a small demographic of poeople already interested in gaming.

There is buzz that a certain publisher is preparing to introduce a new platform for gaming advertisement and will invest several million dollars creating a music video to go along with the game and be played on MTV continously as a single.

This of course is just a rumor and there is no confirmation from any side.

However as a developer this is very intriguing to me as it could mean an instantly exanded audience and at the same time a shrinking amount of developers who would be able to compete with the big publishers on that level of multi million marketing.

Rumors are that the game will release along a music video and a single both purchasable seperately as a collectors edition video and Mp3 downloadable from any mp3 pay service. The publishers hope that the investment will come back in turn of a large MTV generation becoming interested in their software who may not otherwise be gamers.

What do you think about this rumor, if it turns out to be true? How do you think it will effect the industry, Nintendo's goal of expanding the market with another direction and small development studio's as well?

POST 2 -about 2 weeks later.

While the following really unveils little much in the way of providing us with any solid source or confirmation, an aquintence of mine working at an Australian gaming pulication believes the game to be Metal Gear Solid 4. According to him -And his source being one I'd take with a grain of salt as well -an un named developer at an un named publisher -the Metal Gear Solid 4 music video would launch 2 weeks in advance of the games launch while the OST would launch in tandum with the game. He also believes there to be some form of official announcement by Kojima Productions pre release as well as to the status of the MGS movie that is being made, posibly an announcement or confirmation of the actor that would be taking the lead role of Solid Snake.

He believes the launch of the game will mark 3 seperate events. One being the final in the video game series, Metal Gear Solid. The other would be an expansion of Harry Gregson-Williams (composer of MGS2 and MGS3) work by inclusion of a music video orchestrated by him and directed by Kojima followed by the launch of the OST filled with William's work. The third would be the accompanied announcement regarding MGS The Movie, what being announced he doesn't theorize. It is likely, he says, that they are infact all meshed into one circlular avertising tactic, with each release and announcement further fueling the hype and recognition of their sister projects as well as expanding Kojima Productions projects and reach.

Of course we don't know who the source of this information is and so it could easily be a fluke as we have seen many times over before. But if it is true, then it would be a sensible strategy as well as interesting exposition to say the least.

Around the Network

This is interesting. If he was talking about a music video that you could watch on MTV, then it might be very cool, but if this is something created entirely by the video game companies then I don't think that it would be that big of a thing.

Would be great because I love MGS music I hope Square will follow Kojima steps :).

Well, i have been surprised, that no one yet have started the music video thing and with Sonys help, the music video thing is very easy to get to MTV.
But, i wouldn' still count EA out, that type of advertising would fit their style IMO and think how it would hit with Boogie. Anyway, i don't think a game like MGS lures non-gamers in to PS3.

I see the music video thing very likely to come, but i would bet the game being more casual than MGS 4 (even that the people who watch MTV fits to the age range who buys PS3:s).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

MTV plays music videos?

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
Well, i have been surprised, that no one yet have started the music video thing and with Sonys help, the music video thing is very easy to get to MTV.
But, i wouldn' still count EA out, that type of advertising would fit their style IMO and think how it would hit with Boogie. Anyway, i don't think a game like MGS lures non-gamers in to PS3.

I see the music video thing very likely to come, but i would bet the game being more casual than MGS 4 (even that the people who watch MTV fits to the age range who buys PS3:s).

It would increase probably the hype to get this game :s.

FishyJoe said:
MTV plays music videos?

MUSIC TV?

Uh...yes  

Kayanator said:
FishyJoe said:
MTV plays music videos?

MUSIC TV?

Uh...yes

Uh... not often.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Kayanator said:
FishyJoe said:
MTV plays music videos?

MUSIC TV?

Uh...yes

You're right, they play a whole hour of music at 4am! At least I think that's what MTV After Hours is. 

TV Schedule for Sunday, August 12, 2007

TIME SHOW TITLE EPISODE TITLE RATING
06:00 AM The Hills (Season 3)   TV-PG
06:30 AM The Hills (Season 3)   TV-PG
07:00 AM The Hills (Season 3)   TV-PG
07:30 AM The Hills (Season 3)   TV-PG
08:00 AM The Hills (Season 3)   TV-PG
09:00 AM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
10:00 AM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
11:00 AM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
12:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
01:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
02:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
03:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
04:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
05:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
06:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
07:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
08:00 PM America's Next Top Model (season 7)   TV-14
09:00 PM The Hills (Season 3)   TV-PG
10:00 PM Making The Band 4 Cram Session  TV-PG
11:00 PM Real World: Sydney   TV-14
12:00 AM Engaged & Underage Most Outrageous Moments*  NR
01:00 AM NEXT   TV-14
01:30 AM NEXT   TV-14
02:00 AM NEXT   TV-14
02:30 AM NEXT   TV-14
03:00 AM NEXT   TV-14
03:30 AM NEXT   TV-14
04:00 AM Cable In The Classroom   NR
04:30 AM MTV After Hours   TV-PG
05:00 AM MTV After Hours

Kayanator said:
FishyJoe said:
MTV plays music videos?

MUSIC TV?

Uh...yes

Have you watched it lately? All it is Real World, RW & Road Rules Challenges, Laguna Beach, Wild N Out (and whatever the other stupid show similar to it is named) and more crap along these lines. Even MTV2 no longer plays many music videos. It's usually just marathons of all the shows on MTV.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.