By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Call of Duty World at War Wii vs PC ; Through the Eyes of a Graphic Whore

famousringo said:

Equally accurate, perhaps, but the mouse is more stable. You rest the mouse on a smooth, level surface rather than on your knee. Breathing and wrist tremors are less likely to move the cursor.

But that stability comes at the price of carpal tunnel. For me, comfort counts. Easier to share with others when you have a couch and a big screen, too. I'm almost done with PC gaming entirely.

Strangeley enough I always found the stability of the mouse on a desk top one of the most unrealistic elements. Various figures have been quoted but I think it all of the estimates, the number of rounds per enemy killed winds up with the bullets outweighing the victim. I shot a lot of victims firing from my hip at a dead run when I'm pretty certain that I would have had trouble hitting a particular county.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Ooh great story. Love the ending with the quote.

Is this your favorite shooter on the Wii so far?

Far and away, second would be link, although not a full game. Next MOH.

shakarak said:
Good read I enjoyed this topic!

Thanks, I enjoyed writing it. No fan boys, no trolls.

jlauro said:
Grampy said:

There is no question that the ultra-realistic graphics appealed to me. I just prefer a sharp picture. But oddly enough in video gaming, I find all of the graphics, SD, HD, uber-PC disappointing. They are just different levels of disappointing. The problem is where my serious gaming began. My first big game was Zork ( I still have a copy if anyone wants to try it). ...

Zork brings back memories...   Zork I - III are free:  http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html

For a 28 year old game with no graphics, it's still a good game.  The scarry thing is...  I remember games even older then that.  Boy, I am getting old.

I loved them all. Did you ever play Hitchhiker's Guide. The Babel fish puzzle in that was to me the most elegant puzzle ever in any game.

Grampy said:
famousringo said:

Equally accurate, perhaps, but the mouse is more stable. You rest the mouse on a smooth, level surface rather than on your knee. Breathing and wrist tremors are less likely to move the cursor.

But that stability comes at the price of carpal tunnel. For me, comfort counts. Easier to share with others when you have a couch and a big screen, too. I'm almost done with PC gaming entirely.

Strangeley enough I always found the stability of the mouse on a desk top one of the most unrealistic elements. Various figures have been quoted but I think it all of the estimates, the number of rounds per enemy killed winds up with the bullets outweighing the victim. I shot a lot of victims firing from my hip at a dead run when I'm pretty certain that I would have had trouble hitting a particular county.

I feel that way about the mouse. I hate how I can shoot more accurately than a marksman at a firing range with a semi-automatic assault rifle whilst moving quicky over uneven terrain without even giving the impression of using the sites. Thats why I like playing with the crosshair off, because its fun to miss and really challenge yourself. A lot of the time the mouse is even less fun that auto-aiming like on the PS1. At least with the auto-aiming there wasn't a pretense of realism.

Tease.

Around the Network

@ Squilliam and @ irstupid

Something they definately have and which is a decent representation is the variable size of the crosshairs. The reticle is tighest and most accurate when you fire from crouched or prone and gets much larger when you move, the faster you move the larger. The resulting loss in accuracy seems like a reasonable and straightforward solution.

Grampy said:

Something they definately have and which is a decent representation is the variable size of the crosshairs. The reticle is tighest and most accurate when you fire from crouched or prone and gets much larger when you move, the faster you move the larger. The resulting loss in accuracy seems like a reasonable and straightforward solution.

You can still hit with 100% accuracy if you aim for the "core" of the body. The accuracy never drops far enough.

1/20 shots fired across the road at night with a pistol will miss hit. Thats the realistic metric there.

Tease.

Grampy said:
jlauro said:
Grampy said:

There is no question that the ultra-realistic graphics appealed to me. I just prefer a sharp picture. But oddly enough in video gaming, I find all of the graphics, SD, HD, uber-PC disappointing. They are just different levels of disappointing. The problem is where my serious gaming began. My first big game was Zork ( I still have a copy if anyone wants to try it). ...

Zork brings back memories...   Zork I - III are free:  http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html

For a 28 year old game with no graphics, it's still a good game.  The scarry thing is...  I remember games even older then that.  Boy, I am getting old.

I loved them all. Did you ever play Hitchhiker's Guide. The Babel fish puzzle in that was to me the most elegant puzzle ever in any game.

I played it a little, but never did finish it, and don't recall the babel fish puzzle, so I probably didn't get that far.  Didn't get into it like the Zork games.  I finished all those (plus others in the series).  Might of been more interesting if I had read the book first.

Maybe I should give it a try again.  Haven't read the book, but at least I watched a couple movies based on it.  That said, I don't think they made that free and not sure if I could find a working copy.  Back then, I played those games on a TRS-80 Model I.

Grampy said:

is that for the PC and Wii version the aiming crosshair and variable sizing?

hmmm, it looks like what your really after is virtual reality, either that or your subconsciously want to be in the army on the front line in Iraq...

Personal I would have chosen the PC version for 3 reasons, 1) K/M controls, 2) online, 3) graphics