By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lazy Sony and Nintendo...

You should be thanking your lucky stars. There were NINE YEARS between the Game Boy and the Game Boy Color. In between those you just got redesigns. The Game Boy was 1989. After 5 years they added different colors (Play It Loud!), then it was the Pocket, then the Pocket with colors (and the LED put back), then the Light (Japan only), then the Color in 1998.

Around the Network
dsoverpsp said:

Sony and Nintendo's handheld systems having gone through their third generation of the same thing!! (Techinical stuff)

For Nintendo:

DS Phat: 1st of its kind

DS Lite: Same thing as DS Phat, just smaller, lighter, and more modern looking

DSi: Same thing as Lite, without the GBA cart, limited Music Player, 2 low res. cameras, etc, slightly larger screens, etc. + more ram, DSware

For Sony:

PSP: 1st of its kind

PSP 2: Same thing, slightly smaller, more powerful (faster CPU)

PSP 3000: Same thing as 2nd ed. faster cpu (more powerful) more features then before

So what's my point? The point is that both companies have not come out with a totally new, redesigned handheld system. They're just sweetening the package with more features (which is a good marketing tool) as every generation comes. When will they have a new one?! I've been itching for something new!! (Even if it means a new PSP2!!) What's your take?

GB --> GB Pocket --> GB Light

GBA --> GBA SP --> GBA Micro

You know, after doing it for 2 decades, I think they won't change their way.

Probably Nintendo won't make a new version of DS.

But, the way things are going, probably will take lots of time before Nintendo releasing the Ds's successor.

(D* it, I still don't have one)

PSaiki said:
dsoverpsp said:

Sony and Nintendo's handheld systems having gone through their third generation of the same thing!! (Techinical stuff)

For Nintendo:

DSi: Same thing as Lite, without the GBA cart, limited Music Player, 2 low res. cameras, etc, slightly larger screens, etc. + more ram, DSware

For Sony:

PSP 3000: Same thing as 2nd ed. faster cpu (more powerful) more features then before

So what's my point? The point is that both companies have not come out with a totally new, redesigned handheld system. They're just sweetening the package with more features (which is a good marketing tool) as every generation comes. When will they have a new one?! I've been itching for something new!! (Even if it means a new PSP2!!) What's your take?

But, the way things are going, probably will take lots of time before Nintendo releasing the Ds's successor.

Looking at it like that is pretty funny, because GB Pocket and GBA SP are the 2 systems to get very very minor redesigns (Pocket without the LED and then with the LED, and the SP with a regular screen and then screen with stronger backlight).  So Nintendo bucked their trend when they didn't have 2 very similar DS Lites.  And of course the Color is all lonely without a single redesign.

I'm pretty content with the DS. I see no reason for Nintendo to rush a new handheld to the market. The DS still has a lot of life left.

Oh, and let's not forget that it's still selling insane amounts of hardware.

dsoverpsp said:

For Nintendo:

DSi: Same thing as Lite, without the GBA cart, limited Music Player, 2 low res. cameras, etc, slightly larger screens, etc.

For Sony:

PSP Lite\Slim doesn't have a faster CPU!

PSP3000 doesn't have a faster CPU!

Around the Network

ds lite improved the lighting on the screen of the tank ds btw.

Yeah, DS Lite has stronger backlight, weighs less, smaller, moved power button, microphone, and start/select to better positions, and has weaker speakers.

I mean of course they are just upping what's already there. You aren't going to get a new generation of handhelds for awhile. What do you expect seriously. They can't release new generations of handhelds every other year.

PSP 2000 got a ram boost from 32 to 64MB, browsing the internet is a bit better [if it's pictures your looking for.] and the UMD Cache option decreases loading times by quite a bit, since it has 32 extra MB's to throw some UMD data on for quick access [all PSP games are limited to using 32MB or ram max at all times since they have to go with the lowest common denominator's limits, the PSP1000].

Oh, 3000 has redesigned buttons and a built in mike for skype... not much but it's something.

I believe the DSi got a ram boost aswell, but mainly just for all the new features.

4 ≈ One

PSaiki said:
dsoverpsp said:

For Nintendo:

For Sony:

Good Point

4 ≈ One